South Tahoe swim team competes at NIAA state swim meet
May 24, 2017
The South Tahoe High School swim team completed their season at the NIAA 3A state swim and dive championship held at the Carson Aquatic Center last weekend. South Tahoe placed second, overall, at the regional meet, May 12 and 13. At the state meet, the Vikings finished seventh out of 19 teams and brought 11 swimmers.
"Both the boys and girls teams did very well at state," said South Thaoe swim coach William Davenport. " We had good results overall and individual medal winners."
Alex Otomo continued with her strong performances. She placed fourth in both the 50 freestyle and 100 backstroke. Louis Moran and Tristan Klasko were also individual winners for the Vikings. Moran placed third in the 100 breastroke and Klasko placed fourth in the 500 freestyle.
The girls 400 freestyle team of Hannah Lucas, Jessie Brown, Annika Johnson and Sophie Stewart showed that teamwork pays off, placing third in the event. The boys 400 freestyle team of Klasko, Temugen Enkhbayer, Owen Slater and Louis Martin was hanging with the girls' performance, placing fourth in their event. "All of those swimmers took time of their best times," said Davenport. "Which was a good indication of the training and effort that they put in."
According to Davenport, the relay teams finished much higher than they were seeded. "The girls were a number four seed and finished third, " he said. "The boys were seeded seventh and finished forth so that was a big jump for them."
This is Davenport's first year coaching the swim team and said he expects the success to grow. "This year, the kids learned that they have a really good chance at state," said Davenport. "They competed on an even level with all of the kids from the south so some of the younger kids will have higher expectations for the seasons to come. I think we can do even better in the future."
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local Sports
- American Century Championship reveals 2016 lineup; celebrity golf tournament returns to Edgewood Tahoe in July
- Beach volleyball tourney to hit Zephyr Cove
- South Tahoe Futbol Club U-18 Hawks, U-12 Tough girls soccer teams deliver championships at Come Up For Air
- Elevation Elite travel basketball program tips off in South Lake Tahoe
- South Tahoe Futbol Club debuts academy program, first session starts July 22
- Lake Tahoe kayaker recounts near-death experience in Upper Truckee River
- Kayaker reported missing at Lake Tahoe found safe in hotel room
- Ask Tessie: What are the most important rules of beach etiquette in Lake Tahoe?
- Minden woman who died after falling in Upper Truckee River remembered at celebration of life
- Search continues in reduced capacity for missing kayaker at Lake Tahoe