South Tahoe swimmers at NIAA meet
May 29, 2014
South Tahoe swimmers took to the pool in Las Vegas on Friday and Saturday for the NIAA State Championship meet.
The girls 200-yard freestyle relay team of Maia Smith, Kirsten Tang, Margaret Albrecht and Lauren Tang took home a second place medal with a time of 1:50.16, beating out Lowry by four seconds.
The girls 200-yard medley relay team of Kirsten and Lauren Tang, Albrecht and Smith also earned a medal with a time of 2:00.81, good enough for third place.
The boys relay team of Louie Marin, Ryan Piazzo, Brady McIntyre and Shane Smith finished fifth in the 200-yard medley and Marin, McIntyre, Smith and Bryan Peuse also earned fifth in the 200-yard freestyle with times of 1:55.41 and 1:43.43 respectively.
The boys 400-yard freestyle relay team of Kellen Gronwald, Charlie Filce, Adam Jarrett and Shane Smith finished seventh with a time of 4:17.73.
McIntyre earned two individual third-place medals in the 100-yard butterfly with 55.79, missing second by less than one second, and 50-yard freestyle with 23.45. Marin placed seventh and eighth in the 100-yard backstroke and 100-yard breakstroke respectively. Bryan Peuse placed eighth in the 200-yard freestyle, finishing with a time of 2:07.69.
In the girls 50-yard freestyle, Kirsten Tang finished fourth with 26.11 and Smith followed with 28.23 for seventh. Kirsten Tang also placed fourth in the 100-yard backstroke with a 1:03.66 time.
Lauren Tang placed fourth in the 100-yard backstroke with a time of 1:12.96, almost two seconds off from third, and sixth in the 200-yard individual medley with Ally Swain placing eighth.
Albrecht raced in the 100-yard freestyle for sixth place and 100-yard butterfly for a seventh place finish.
The final team scores saw the Lady Vikings placing third overall out of 11 teams with 65 points and the boys placed fifth of 16 with 39 points.
Trending In: Local Sports
- South Tahoe Vikings track team starts season
- South Tahoe baseball begins Northern 3A conference play
- Elevation Elite travel basketball program tips off in South Lake Tahoe
- Success in strength: New Viking Strength and Conditioning Center offers cutting-edge tool for South Tahoe athletics
- American Century Championship reveals 2016 lineup; celebrity golf tournament returns to Edgewood Tahoe in July
- Bear activity picking up around Lake Tahoe; people urged to be ‘bear aware’
- Marina fee increase forces cancellation of 2017 South Tahoe Wooden Boat Classic
- Another roof collapses near Lake Tahoe
- Gas explosion at Kirkwood Mountain
- Lake Tahoe weather: Winter weather advisory in effect through Saturday morning