South Tahoe tennis | Viking boys push for state
September 26, 2013
The Vikings looked confident and composed on the tennis court during an 11-7 win against Division I Carson on Tuesday.
Last week's loss to Bishop Manogue was just a memory, maybe even good one considering the boys tennis team seemed more focused than ever on its state goal.
"We're going to Las Vegas. We're going to win in Vegas as a team, and we're going to dump Gatorade on Justin (Clark)," No. 1 singles player Chad Kaassamani said.
Head coach Justin Clark isn't the type of guy who sets unrealistic goals for his team. If Clark talks about making state then the Vikings have a shot. The boys team is strong this year. The team has five returning seniors and skilled players on both the doubles and singles front.
Senior Chad Kaassamani is the No. 1 singles player. He qualified for individual state competition as a junior last year, and this year he's picking up right where he left off. Kaassamani won 6-2, 6-0 and 6-0 on Tuesday.
No. 1 senior doubles team Kyle Swain and Colton McHugh notched a 6-0 win and 6-3 win.
"It's been a pretty exciting year. There's been a lot of close matches," Swain said. "But I definitely think our team needs to work harder in practice."
Swain knows it won't be easy to make state. Only one team from Northern Division I-A Regionals will earn the Las Vegas trip. But if the Vikings do make it, Swain and McHugh, along with No. 2 senior doubles team Trevor Garon and Ryan Piazzo, will be a big part of that postseason.
"All those seniors are really starting to come into their own this year," Clark said. "We've been learning doubles skills and gaining confidence. I think they're really starting to see their potential, and I'm excited for what they're going to do."
UP NEXT: The boys have one week of league competition remaining until Regionals. They will host Wooster on Tuesday and Spanish Springs on Thursday.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local Sports
- Beach battles: South Tahoe Beach Wrestling Championships return to Lakeview Commons for second edition, doubles in size
- American Century Championship reveals 2016 lineup; celebrity golf tournament returns to Edgewood Tahoe in July
- Tahoe Training Camps brings high-level soccer to the region, locals hit the pitch during South Lake Tahoe camp
- Aces low: Whittell baseball falls to cross-lake foe Incline 14-4 at Greater Nevada Field
- South Tahoe softball athlete earns scholarship to play at South Dakota State University
- Smoke from Mariposa County fire continues to fill Tahoe Basin (video)
- Tahoe Keys Marina without running water as dispute over bills continues
- Carson City bypass ready for debut; residents to ride, run, walk final stretch of freeway Saturday
- Mariposa County fire in California threatens 1,500 structures near Yosemite
- Lake Tahoe Basin under air quality alert, dense smoke advisory as fire rages near Yosemite