ST All-Stars deliver memorable season
July 19, 2013
The Reno Continental game was the deciding factor.
The 12-year-old South Tahoe All-Star team had come incredibly far for this game. Not literally, but the boys had pieced together an undefeated season that flew in the face of probability, proving the little baseball team from South Lake Tahoe had some ballplayers.
"For a little South Tahoe team," coach Carl Buchholz said, "we did well against those big city teams."
Indeed the boys did, but a 6-5 loss against Reno Continental was the beginning of the end on Saturday, July 6, in Carson City, Nev.
"If we'd won the Reno Continental game it would have been a different outcome altogether because we would have used up their one dominate pitcher," Buchholz said.
Reno's dominate pitcher, however, was too effective for South Tahoe to produce another two runs. Kyle Dane came up with some amazing outfield saves, but ultimately the offense fell short.
The Reno Continental loss landed South Tahoe in the loser's bracket and put a small crack in the team's invincibility.
The boys would now face Carson Valley and try to work their way out of the loser's bracket. It wouldn't be easy. Carson Valley had a 12-year-old pitcher throwing wicked curve balls, one after the other.
South Tahoe got off to a good start. Jared Barnard was behind the plate for starter Nic Buchholz and Mickey Sullivan was back in action after being sidelined for a month with a broken collarbone.
The score was tied at 2-2 for most of the game. The boys had a shot, but Carson Valley popped off two late home runs to silence South Tahoe with a 4-2 win.
South Tahoe's season came to an end during its next game, a 5-1 loss against Washoe Valley.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local Sports
- American Century Championship reveals 2016 lineup; celebrity golf tournament returns to Edgewood Tahoe in July
- Beach battles: South Tahoe Beach Wrestling Championships return to Lakeview Commons for second edition, doubles in size
- Tahoe Training Camps brings high-level soccer to the region, locals hit the pitch during South Lake Tahoe camp
- Aces low: Whittell baseball falls to cross-lake foe Incline 14-4 at Greater Nevada Field
- South Tahoe softball athlete earns scholarship to play at South Dakota State University
- Smoke from Mariposa County fire continues to fill Tahoe Basin (video)
- Tahoe Keys Marina without running water as dispute over bills continues
- Mariposa County fire in California threatens 1,500 structures near Yosemite
- Carson City bypass ready for debut; residents to ride, run, walk final stretch of freeway Saturday
- Lake Tahoe Basin under air quality alert, dense smoke advisory as fire rages near Yosemite