Swimmers snag 15 state spots
May 14, 2013
South Tahoe State Qualifiers
400-free relay girls: 1st (Kirsten Tang, Maggie Albrecht, Cassandra Marin, Lauren Tang)
400-medley relay girls: 2nd (Kirsten Tang-backstroke, Cassandra Marin- breaststroke, Maggie Albrecht-butterfly, Lauren Tang-freestyle)
400-medley relay boys: 2nd (Ryan Piazzo-back, Ben Eliot-breast, Brady McIntyre-fly, Aaron Mason-free)
200-free relay girls: 4th (Ally Swain, Lissie Stewert, Kimber Craig, Madeline Pennington)
200-free relay boys: 4th (Ben Eliot, Shane Smith, Aaron Mason, Brady McIntyre)
Maggie Albrecht: 2nd in 200 free, 2nd in 500 free
Kirsten Tang: 1st 50 free, 2nd 100 back
Lauren Tang: 2nd 50 free, 2nd 100 breast
Brady McIntyre: 2nd 50 free, 2nd 100 fly
Cassandra Marin: 3rd 100 fly
Madeline Pennington: 4th 100 free
With state qualification on the line, the South Tahoe swim team delivered.
The Vikings qualified swimmers for state in 10 individual events and five relay events at the Division 1-A Northern Region Swimming Trials and Finals on Friday and Saturday.
The girls team finished second overall (304), behind Truckee's first place (361). Fallon rounded out the girls' podium in third (257).
The South Tahoe boys team took third (190), behind Truckee in first (371) and Sage Ridge in second (212).
Swimmers who placed in the top four at regionals qualified for state.
For the girls, Kirsten Tang qualified in the 50 free with a first-place finish and second in the 100 back. Lauren Tang qualified for both the 50 free and 100 breast with two second-place finishes. Both girls also qualified with the 400-free relay team and 400-medley team.
Cassandra Marin qualified with a third in the 100 fly, and Maggie Albrecht with a second in the 200 free and second in the 500 free. Marin and Albrecht complete the girls 400-free and 400-medley state relay teams.
Madeline Pennington snagged fourth place in the 100 free to qualify. Pennington, along with Ally Swain, Lissie Stewert and Kimber Craig make up the 200-free relay team, which also qualified for state competition.
For the boys, Brady McIntyre qualified in both the 50 free and 100 fly, taking second in both regional races.
The boys 200-free relay, Ben Eliot, Shane Smith, Aaron Mason and McIntyre qualified with a fourth-place finish. Their 400-medley relay team, Ryan Piazzo (backstoke), Eliot (breaststroke), McIntyre (butterfly) and Mason (freestyle), rounded out the qualifying relay teams.
UP NEXT: The Nevada state meet will be held this Saturday in Carson.
Trending In: Local Sports
- Beach battles: South Tahoe Beach Wrestling Championships return to Lakeview Commons for second edition, doubles in size
- 2013 Banked Slalom Results
- Beach volleyball tourney to hit Zephyr Cove
- Breaking the ice: South Lake Tahoe Vikings hockey delivers Northern California championship a decade in the making
- Community rallies around wrestling coach
- Vail Resorts extends ski season at Lake Tahoe resorts
- Snowboarder from Connecticut dies after falling into tree well at Tahoe-area resort
- Water managers may have to ‘spill’ water from Lake Tahoe
- Lake Tahoe weather: Storm winds down after dumping 2 feet of snow in 24 hours
- Drivers unlikely to be reimbursed for pothole damage