Swimmers snag 15 state spots
May 14, 2013
South Tahoe State Qualifiers
400-free relay girls: 1st (Kirsten Tang, Maggie Albrecht, Cassandra Marin, Lauren Tang)
400-medley relay girls: 2nd (Kirsten Tang-backstroke, Cassandra Marin- breaststroke, Maggie Albrecht-butterfly, Lauren Tang-freestyle)
400-medley relay boys: 2nd (Ryan Piazzo-back, Ben Eliot-breast, Brady McIntyre-fly, Aaron Mason-free)
200-free relay girls: 4th (Ally Swain, Lissie Stewert, Kimber Craig, Madeline Pennington)
200-free relay boys: 4th (Ben Eliot, Shane Smith, Aaron Mason, Brady McIntyre)
Maggie Albrecht: 2nd in 200 free, 2nd in 500 free
Kirsten Tang: 1st 50 free, 2nd 100 back
Lauren Tang: 2nd 50 free, 2nd 100 breast
Brady McIntyre: 2nd 50 free, 2nd 100 fly
Cassandra Marin: 3rd 100 fly
Madeline Pennington: 4th 100 free
With state qualification on the line, the South Tahoe swim team delivered.
The Vikings qualified swimmers for state in 10 individual events and five relay events at the Division 1-A Northern Region Swimming Trials and Finals on Friday and Saturday.
The girls team finished second overall (304), behind Truckee’s first place (361). Fallon rounded out the girls’ podium in third (257).
The South Tahoe boys team took third (190), behind Truckee in first (371) and Sage Ridge in second (212).
Swimmers who placed in the top four at regionals qualified for state.
For the girls, Kirsten Tang qualified in the 50 free with a first-place finish and second in the 100 back. Lauren Tang qualified for both the 50 free and 100 breast with two second-place finishes. Both girls also qualified with the 400-free relay team and 400-medley team.
Cassandra Marin qualified with a third in the 100 fly, and Maggie Albrecht with a second in the 200 free and second in the 500 free. Marin and Albrecht complete the girls 400-free and 400-medley state relay teams.
Madeline Pennington snagged fourth place in the 100 free to qualify. Pennington, along with Ally Swain, Lissie Stewert and Kimber Craig make up the 200-free relay team, which also qualified for state competition.
For the boys, Brady McIntyre qualified in both the 50 free and 100 fly, taking second in both regional races.
The boys 200-free relay, Ben Eliot, Shane Smith, Aaron Mason and McIntyre qualified with a fourth-place finish. Their 400-medley relay team, Ryan Piazzo (backstoke), Eliot (breaststroke), McIntyre (butterfly) and Mason (freestyle), rounded out the qualifying relay teams.
UP NEXT: The Nevada state meet will be held this Saturday in Carson.
Trending In: Local Sports
- South Tahoe baseball | Vikings are playoff bound for first time in 20 years
- South Tahoe softball takes series from Elko, delivers first wins of season
- State champions: South Tahoe All-Stars beat Summerlin North, claim Little League Intermediate 50/70 Division Nevada crown
- Large Tahoe turnout for Burton Creek Trail Run
- American Century Championship reveals 2016 lineup; celebrity golf tournament returns to Edgewood Tahoe in July
- Lake Tahoe welcomes ski-in, ski-out coworking space at Heavenly Mountain Resort
- Man walks across America (and through Lake Tahoe) to spread word on drug overdose
- Sierra-at-Tahoe Resort expands learning terrain, revamps menu, bids water bottles farewell for 2016-17 season
- Michael Alan Laub
- Take a hike: 6 spots to enjoy autumn colors around Lake Tahoe