Tennis served up for spring
April 29, 2014
On Saturday, South Tahoe High School tennis players participated in Junior Team Tennis matches at Centennial Park in Carson City.
These are social tennis event for junior tennis players to play singles and doubles in an encouraging and fun atmosphere with matches from 12-2 p.m. and will continue through May 24. Teams from Carson City and Fallon also attended the event made up of high school aged students.
"The weather was snowy and rainy in Tahoe, so it was nice to have a clear day in Carson City for the event and I appreciated the 20 players participating and their parents bringing them out to Centennial Park. It's awesome to see the young players making a commitment to themselves and their teammates in the offseason," said Justin Clark, STHS tennis coach, Tahoe Tennis Academy Owner/Director and organizer of the event.
"This is a prelude to the summer training season for the junior tennis players in the area," Clark said.
Clark is bringing the tennis program to Carson this summer with national junior tennis, collegiate and professional playing and coaching experience. He is a certified tennis professional through the United States Professional Tennis Association and United States Professional Tennis Registry and was a NCAA National Championship tennis competitor for four years while playing at Elon University and has coached in three NCAA National Tennis Championships with 10 All-Americans during his 10 year coaching career.
South Tahoe High School Tennis is holding training Monday through Thursday after school at the STHS Varsity Tennis Court Facility, while Saturday matches are $40 for the season. The age range for participation is 13-18.
"This spring team tennis event is a great start to the season and leads into the summer programs starting June 23 and running through Aug. 14. There are also adult programs through the Tahoe Tennis Academy and Lake Tahoe Community College that begin May 19 continuing through spring, summer and fall quarters," Clark said.
The summer programs will run Monday through Thursday from 8 a.m. to noon for the 5-7 year old beginners, developmental training class for the 8-12 age group and older competitive 13-18 year old players.
The summer programs are for all levels of junior and adults through the Tahoe Tennis Academy. Go to http://www.justinclark.usptapro.com for more information and to download spring and summer forms happening in South Lake Tahoe.
Trending In: Local Sports
- South Tahoe spring football undefeated in Excel Athletics prep
- South Tahoe Futbol Club U-18 Hawks, U-12 Tough girls soccer teams deliver championships at Come Up For Air
- Whittell, South Tahoe track teams to compete at NIAA state tournament
- Beach volleyball tourney to hit Zephyr Cove
- Breaking the ice: South Lake Tahoe Vikings hockey delivers Northern California championship a decade in the making
- Tahoe Chamber CEO resigns after three months
- ‘The epitome of Tahoe’ — family, friends to remember man killed in vehicle-vs-bicycle crash
- Elevation Eats: A ‘feast for the senses’ at MoonHouse Brewhouse
- Reforestation begins after Emerald Fire; cause of burn released
- Lake Tahoe gears up for epic wildflower season