Truckee prevails in matchup with Lady Vikings
December 17, 2013
South Tahoe's Lady Vikings lost to visiting Truckee 33-24 in a low-scoring game Friday.
South Tahoe was fresh off a 48-28 rout of Wooster the night before but struggled to put points on the scoreboard against Truckee.
"It was a different team tonight," coach Mike Neiger said. "From the tipoff we couldn't get any tempo. We were stagnant on offense. We had a hard time creating any movement. It was just an uphill battle the whole game, it seemed."
The Lady Vikings scored six points in each of the first two quarters and just four points in the third. Truckee also struggled to score much of the night and trailed 13-12 at halftime.
"We had the lead at halftime, so it was well within our ability to win," Neiger said.
Leading 19-17 at the end of the third quarter, Truckee pulled ahead for the win in the fourth. The Lady Wolverines scored about half of their 14 points that quarter on the free throw line as South Tahoe ran into foul trouble.
Kaylee Neill and Sydney Mock led Truckee's offense with 14 and 11 points. Lauren Peck scored six and Emily Houghton scored two.
Truckee coach David Shalvis said it was a sweet win for his team.
"It's nice to see that first win under our belt, and have the girls be as poised as they were," Shalvis said. "It's nice to come back after a playoff loss to South Tahoe. They beat us the last two games of last year."
Riley Chapman led South Tahoe's offense with eight points. Andi Jo Embry and Ally King each scored five. Hannah Neiger, Grace Bronken and Zoe Mosedale scored two points each.
South Tahoe (1-2, 0-1 I-A Northern) plays at home against Lowry (1-4, 0-0 I-A Northern) this Friday.
"If we can be consistent, I think with our full lineup we'll be in the hunt for the playoffs," Neiger predicted.
Trending In: Local Sports
- South Tahoe Vikings track team starts season
- South Tahoe baseball begins Northern 3A conference play
- Elevation Elite travel basketball program tips off in South Lake Tahoe
- Success in strength: New Viking Strength and Conditioning Center offers cutting-edge tool for South Tahoe athletics
- American Century Championship reveals 2016 lineup; celebrity golf tournament returns to Edgewood Tahoe in July
- Bear activity picking up around Lake Tahoe; people urged to be ‘bear aware’
- Marina fee increase forces cancellation of 2017 South Tahoe Wooden Boat Classic
- Another roof collapses near Lake Tahoe
- Lake Tahoe weather: Winter weather advisory in effect through Saturday morning
- Altercation in South Lake Tahoe sends 4 homeless men to hospital, 1 with life threatening injuries