Truckee prevails in matchup with Lady Vikings
December 17, 2013
South Tahoe's Lady Vikings lost to visiting Truckee 33-24 in a low-scoring game Friday.
South Tahoe was fresh off a 48-28 rout of Wooster the night before but struggled to put points on the scoreboard against Truckee.
"It was a different team tonight," coach Mike Neiger said. "From the tipoff we couldn't get any tempo. We were stagnant on offense. We had a hard time creating any movement. It was just an uphill battle the whole game, it seemed."
The Lady Vikings scored six points in each of the first two quarters and just four points in the third. Truckee also struggled to score much of the night and trailed 13-12 at halftime.
"We had the lead at halftime, so it was well within our ability to win," Neiger said.
Leading 19-17 at the end of the third quarter, Truckee pulled ahead for the win in the fourth. The Lady Wolverines scored about half of their 14 points that quarter on the free throw line as South Tahoe ran into foul trouble.
Kaylee Neill and Sydney Mock led Truckee's offense with 14 and 11 points. Lauren Peck scored six and Emily Houghton scored two.
Truckee coach David Shalvis said it was a sweet win for his team.
"It's nice to see that first win under our belt, and have the girls be as poised as they were," Shalvis said. "It's nice to come back after a playoff loss to South Tahoe. They beat us the last two games of last year."
Riley Chapman led South Tahoe's offense with eight points. Andi Jo Embry and Ally King each scored five. Hannah Neiger, Grace Bronken and Zoe Mosedale scored two points each.
South Tahoe (1-2, 0-1 I-A Northern) plays at home against Lowry (1-4, 0-0 I-A Northern) this Friday.
"If we can be consistent, I think with our full lineup we'll be in the hunt for the playoffs," Neiger predicted.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local Sports
- American Century Championship reveals 2016 lineup; celebrity golf tournament returns to Edgewood Tahoe in July
- Beach volleyball tourney to hit Zephyr Cove
- Elevation Elite travel basketball program tips off in South Lake Tahoe
- South Tahoe Futbol Club debuts academy program, first session starts July 22
- South Tahoe Futbol Club U-18 Hawks, U-12 Tough girls soccer teams deliver championships at Come Up For Air
- Lake Tahoe kayaker recounts near-death experience in Upper Truckee River
- Minden woman who died after falling in Upper Truckee River remembered at celebration of life
- Edgewood Tahoe celebrates completion of $100M lodge
- Search continues in reduced capacity for missing kayaker at Lake Tahoe
- Kayaker reported missing at Lake Tahoe found safe in hotel room