Truckee prevails in matchup with Lady Vikings
December 17, 2013
South Tahoe's Lady Vikings lost to visiting Truckee 33-24 in a low-scoring game Friday.
South Tahoe was fresh off a 48-28 rout of Wooster the night before but struggled to put points on the scoreboard against Truckee.
"It was a different team tonight," coach Mike Neiger said. "From the tipoff we couldn't get any tempo. We were stagnant on offense. We had a hard time creating any movement. It was just an uphill battle the whole game, it seemed."
The Lady Vikings scored six points in each of the first two quarters and just four points in the third. Truckee also struggled to score much of the night and trailed 13-12 at halftime.
"We had the lead at halftime, so it was well within our ability to win," Neiger said.
Leading 19-17 at the end of the third quarter, Truckee pulled ahead for the win in the fourth. The Lady Wolverines scored about half of their 14 points that quarter on the free throw line as South Tahoe ran into foul trouble.
Kaylee Neill and Sydney Mock led Truckee's offense with 14 and 11 points. Lauren Peck scored six and Emily Houghton scored two.
Truckee coach David Shalvis said it was a sweet win for his team.
"It's nice to see that first win under our belt, and have the girls be as poised as they were," Shalvis said. "It's nice to come back after a playoff loss to South Tahoe. They beat us the last two games of last year."
Riley Chapman led South Tahoe's offense with eight points. Andi Jo Embry and Ally King each scored five. Hannah Neiger, Grace Bronken and Zoe Mosedale scored two points each.
South Tahoe (1-2, 0-1 I-A Northern) plays at home against Lowry (1-4, 0-0 I-A Northern) this Friday.
"If we can be consistent, I think with our full lineup we'll be in the hunt for the playoffs," Neiger predicted.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local Sports
- South Tahoe All-Stars run table in Babe Ruth 14-year-old Nevada tournament, claim state championship
- Beach volleyball tourney to hit Zephyr Cove
- Elevation Elite travel basketball program tips off in South Lake Tahoe
- South Tahoe track athlete commits to San Diego State University
- Tahoe Training Camps brings high-level soccer to the region, locals hit the pitch during South Lake Tahoe camp
- Jack Johnson donates to Lake Tahoe environmental groups
- Truckee-Tahoe business owners tackle housing shortage by becoming landlords
- Ribaudo column: Is Lake Tahoe’s South Shore at risk of overtourism?
- State of the Lake Report on Lake Tahoe to be presented July 27
- Woodacre man dies in single-vehicle crash on Highway 88 near South Lake Tahoe