Vikings all contribute to Incline sweep
April 9, 2013
Spring break didn't slow down the South Tahoe softball team last weekend.
The Vikings swept Incline 11-1 and 18-4 in a home doubleheader Saturday. South Tahoe's entire lineup contributed to the wins and solid defense held off Incline.
"We didn't throw the ball around and that was the focus," South Tahoe coach Steve Kolesnik said. "We didn't give them extra bases."
Hannah Neiger took the mound with confidence in the first game, giving up just one run in a complete-game performance.
"I focused more on hitting my spots and getting the first-pitch strike," Neiger said. "Definitely getting ahead in the count makes me a lot more confident."
Neiger had support from the entire team too.
Nora Anderson went 2-for-3 with a hit by pitch. Kaila Griffis laced a two RBI double to the fence in the first inning. Sam Durham also blasted a double off a 3-1 pitch in the second inning to deepen South Tahoe's lead to 4-0.
Meanwhile, Incline's pitching struggled with control, walking seven batters and hitting four during the game.
South Tahoe capitalized with a five-run sixth.
In the second game, the Vikings started piling on the runs early with a six-run first inning. South Tahoe added another five in the second and seven more in the third for an 18-1 lead.
Everyone had a hit. Leadoff batter Brittany Sanchez contributed two base hits. Griffis blasted another three hits. Neiger and Isabella Castillo each blasted doubles. Durham added her second double of the day, and Brittany Harper belted a double and a triple.
"In the second game, Brittany hit the top of the fence, almost the first homerun in our new park," Kolesnik said. "If we would have had regulation fences it would have been gone so would have Durham's."
Durham also pitched a strong first two innings for the Vikings. Emily Gardner threw the third and fourth inning, and Danika Davis came in to close up the game with a strong pitching performance.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local Sports
- South Tahoe All-Stars run table in Babe Ruth 14-year-old Nevada tournament, claim state championship
- Beach battles: South Tahoe Beach Wrestling Championships return to Lakeview Commons for second edition, doubles in size
- State champions: South Tahoe All-Stars beat Summerlin North, claim Little League Intermediate 50/70 Division Nevada crown
- A’s win South Tahoe Babe Ruth championship, beat Angels 14-2 in winner-take-all title game
- Beach volleyball tourney to hit Zephyr Cove
- Review: What’s it like riding a LimeBike in South Lake Tahoe?
- Truckee-Tahoe business owners tackle housing shortage by becoming landlords
- South Lake Tahoe resident wins Tahoe Rim Trail Endurance Run 100 mile race
- Proposed Shoreline Plan could allow 138 new piers in Lake Tahoe
- Momentum picks up in fight against invasive plants in Tahoe Keys