Vikings all contribute to Incline sweep
April 9, 2013
Spring break didn't slow down the South Tahoe softball team last weekend.
The Vikings swept Incline 11-1 and 18-4 in a home doubleheader Saturday. South Tahoe's entire lineup contributed to the wins and solid defense held off Incline.
"We didn't throw the ball around and that was the focus," South Tahoe coach Steve Kolesnik said. "We didn't give them extra bases."
Hannah Neiger took the mound with confidence in the first game, giving up just one run in a complete-game performance.
"I focused more on hitting my spots and getting the first-pitch strike," Neiger said. "Definitely getting ahead in the count makes me a lot more confident."
Neiger had support from the entire team too.
Recommended Stories For You
Nora Anderson went 2-for-3 with a hit by pitch. Kaila Griffis laced a two RBI double to the fence in the first inning. Sam Durham also blasted a double off a 3-1 pitch in the second inning to deepen South Tahoe's lead to 4-0.
Meanwhile, Incline's pitching struggled with control, walking seven batters and hitting four during the game.
South Tahoe capitalized with a five-run sixth.
In the second game, the Vikings started piling on the runs early with a six-run first inning. South Tahoe added another five in the second and seven more in the third for an 18-1 lead.
Everyone had a hit. Leadoff batter Brittany Sanchez contributed two base hits. Griffis blasted another three hits. Neiger and Isabella Castillo each blasted doubles. Durham added her second double of the day, and Brittany Harper belted a double and a triple.
"In the second game, Brittany hit the top of the fence, almost the first homerun in our new park," Kolesnik said. "If we would have had regulation fences it would have been gone so would have Durham's."
Durham also pitched a strong first two innings for the Vikings. Emily Gardner threw the third and fourth inning, and Danika Davis came in to close up the game with a strong pitching performance.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local Sports
- Four Lake Tahoe CC women’s soccer local products sign with NAIA programs; Carroll inks with Martin Methodist
- South Lake Tahoe Recreation hosts Pickleball open house Saturday
- Los Angeles Jr. Kings hockey teams drop the puck for training camp in South Lake Tahoe
- Whittell boys b-ball delivers second Div. IV State championship in three seasons, beats Word of Life for title
- American Century Championship reveals 2016 lineup; celebrity golf tournament returns to Edgewood Tahoe in July
- Ask Tessie: How do I meet a responsible man in Tahoe?
- Former and current Tahoe residents impacted by Northern California fires
- Gardnerville man killed in head-on collision near Red Lake
- Construction begins on Round Hill Pines Beach Resort
- The latest on California wildfires: Napa Valley school remain closed until Monday