Vikings give season best at Clovis
October 18, 2013
South Tahoe Clovis Results
75. Harley Norton, Sr, 17:28
79. Orion Maxwell, Soph, 17:30
93. Ross Kovac, Sr, 17:38
167. Patrick Stimac, Sr, 18:54
172. Paul Mutz, Soph, 19:00
184. Mario Mangiaracina, Soph, 19:17
197. Chas Carlson, Sr, 19:52
106. Karley Martinez , Sr, 21:35
113. Cara Filce, Jr, 21:44
135. Lauren Tang, Jr, 22:19
136. Riley Rettig, Soph, 22:21
148. Tatum Whatford, Soph, 22:37
185. Grace Rosburg, Jr, 24:14
192. Kerry Norton, Soph, 24:51
85. Sierra Bedwell, fresh, 23:58
112. Meg Carlson, fresh, 26:00
The South Tahoe cross-country team was up at first light getting ready for the early-morning Clovis meet.
And while the runners may not have been fully awake when the starting gun fired, they still managed to find their season-best speeds, which was what the Clovis Invitation was all about Friday, Oct. 11.
There were dozens of Division I schools and elite cross-country runners who show up for the meet. The Vikings, instead, used the meet to see how far they've come as the season finale draws near. The result was a landslide of personal bests.
Everyone who raced set a personal record for the year.
"This is a pretty good showing of where we're at for the season," coach Jake Hurwitz said. "We're building toward the end instead of peaking too early, and we also had a good time there. There was a lot of team bonding going on."
South Tahoe's top boys — Harley Norton, Orion Maxwell and Ross Kovac — all finished within 20 second of each other. Norton turned in 17:28, Maxwell 17:30 and Kovac 17:38 on the Clovis course that was about three miles.
Patrick Stimac (18:54), Paul Mutz (19:00), Mario Mangiaracina (19:17) and Chas Carlson (19:52) rounded out the boys' top times.
Senior Karley Martinez finished first among South Tahoe's girls in 21:35. Cara Filce was less than 10 seconds behind, cruising in at the 21:44 mark.
Lauren Tang (22:19), Riley Rettig (22:21), Tatum Whatford (22:37), Grace Rosburg (24:14) and Kerry Norton (24:51) completed the girls' varsity times.
Junior varsity runners Sierra Bedwell (23:58) and Meg Carlson (26:00) also turned in impressive finishes.
UP NEXT: The cross-country team ran in the Sparks Invitational Friday, JV Championships on Tuesday and the ROP Invitational on Thursday. Regionals start Nov. 1 and state competition is on Nov. 8 and 9.
Trending In: Local Sports
- Tang sisters medal in state championships
- South Tahoe, Whittell track teams have strong finishes at state meet
- South Tahoe swim team competes at NIAA state swim meet
- South Tahoe spring football undefeated in Excel Athletics prep
- Newberger goes for national title with Golden State Elite Hockey midget team
- Lake Tahoe water board orders further study, cleanup of contaminated groundwater
- Tahoe crime recap: Scissor-wielding transient man arrested after hurling profanity, threats
- UPDATE: Police say stolen tractor-trailer crashed into famed brothel near Carson City
- Ribaudo column: Housing in Tahoe — ‘like a bad toothache that doesn’t go away’
- Suggestions for making the most of Memorial Day weekend at Lake Tahoe