Vikings’ golfers hold steady
May 6, 2013
As the golf season nears an end, the South Tahoe team is showing what a season of commitment and consistency looks like.
Three South Tahoe golfers turned in season-low scores Thursday, shaving several strokes off their game in a Division I-A South Tahoe hosted tournament at the Lake Tahoe Golf Course. The Vikings held steady in fifth place (461) at the tournament and fifth in overall standings behind the shots of Connor Shaw, Austin Williams and Tre Charrette.
Lowry continued its undefeated tear (391), Spring Creek took second (414), Elko third (424) and Fernley fourth (460), one stroke in front of the Vikings. Truckee (464), Dayton (466), Fallon (469) and Sparks (536) rounded out the field respectively. Lowry's Andrew Mendoza led the golfers with a 71, eight strokes below the next lowest score.
Shaw, Willliams and Charrette all turned in a personal bests on the course, shooting below 90. Shaw led the Vikings with an 85, while Williams and Charrette both fired an 89. Shaw and Williams are now averaging 91.3, and both are candidates for state qualification.
South Tahoe's Sam Burba added a 97 , Kybur Oberhaus shot a 101 and Roger Williams a 102.
The South Tahoe golfers will head to Truckee on Thursday for their final tournament to determine who will qualify for the Northern Division 1-A state championships.
There is no regional tourney for the Northern Division I-A. The top three teams based on the regular season qualify and the top five individuals from non-qualifying teams will also earn a trip to state. Right now, there are three South Tahoe golfers in the running — Shaw, Williams and Morgan Petrogallo.
The Whittell golf team will compete in the Division III regionals in Elko today to determine the state qualifiers.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local Sports
- American Century Championship reveals 2016 lineup; celebrity golf tournament returns to Edgewood Tahoe in July
- Beach battles: South Tahoe Beach Wrestling Championships return to Lakeview Commons for second edition, doubles in size
- Lake Tahoe CC women’s soccer reveals 2016 recruiting class, looks to build with talented, versatile group
- South Tahoe All-Stars swept at Babe Ruth 14-year-old regional tournament
- South Tahoe Futbol Club U-18 Hawks, U-12 Tough girls soccer teams deliver championships at Come Up For Air
- Smoke from Mariposa County fire continues to fill Tahoe Basin (video)
- Mariposa County fire in California threatens 1,500 structures near Yosemite
- Sierra homeowners are losing coverage because of surrounding brush, trees
- Vietnam vet retires from Tahoe Safeway after 46 years — and never missed a day of work
- Tahoe Keys Marina without running water as dispute over bills continues