Vikings’ golfers hold steady
May 6, 2013
As the golf season nears an end, the South Tahoe team is showing what a season of commitment and consistency looks like.
Three South Tahoe golfers turned in season-low scores Thursday, shaving several strokes off their game in a Division I-A South Tahoe hosted tournament at the Lake Tahoe Golf Course. The Vikings held steady in fifth place (461) at the tournament and fifth in overall standings behind the shots of Connor Shaw, Austin Williams and Tre Charrette.
Lowry continued its undefeated tear (391), Spring Creek took second (414), Elko third (424) and Fernley fourth (460), one stroke in front of the Vikings. Truckee (464), Dayton (466), Fallon (469) and Sparks (536) rounded out the field respectively. Lowry's Andrew Mendoza led the golfers with a 71, eight strokes below the next lowest score.
Shaw, Willliams and Charrette all turned in a personal bests on the course, shooting below 90. Shaw led the Vikings with an 85, while Williams and Charrette both fired an 89. Shaw and Williams are now averaging 91.3, and both are candidates for state qualification.
South Tahoe's Sam Burba added a 97 , Kybur Oberhaus shot a 101 and Roger Williams a 102.
The South Tahoe golfers will head to Truckee on Thursday for their final tournament to determine who will qualify for the Northern Division 1-A state championships.
There is no regional tourney for the Northern Division I-A. The top three teams based on the regular season qualify and the top five individuals from non-qualifying teams will also earn a trip to state. Right now, there are three South Tahoe golfers in the running — Shaw, Williams and Morgan Petrogallo.
The Whittell golf team will compete in the Division III regionals in Elko today to determine the state qualifiers.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local Sports
- Beach battles: South Tahoe Beach Wrestling Championships return to Lakeview Commons for second edition, doubles in size
- Beach volleyball tourney to hit Zephyr Cove
- Breaking the ice: South Lake Tahoe Vikings hockey delivers Northern California championship a decade in the making
- State champions: South Tahoe All-Stars beat Summerlin North, claim Little League Intermediate 50/70 Division Nevada crown
- American Century Championship reveals 2016 lineup; celebrity golf tournament returns to Edgewood Tahoe in July