Vikings split weekend games
April 2, 2013
It was a tough weekend for South Tahoe, but the baseball team swallowed its early losses and ended on a winning note.
South Tahoe dropped its Friday league game to Lowry 13-1. On Saturday, the boys lost the first game of a non-league doubleheader to Elko 12-5, and finished the day with a 7-6 win over Spring Creek.
South Tahoe's lone run against Lowry came from senior Tyler Sharp, who went 1-for-2 at the plate. River Quinn also contributed a hit.
The Vikings came out stronger Saturday against Elko, jumping out to an early 3-1 lead in the second inning. They held onto a 4-3 edge in the third, but Elko surged back in the fourth with six runs to cement a 12-5 win.
Key hits in the game came from Christian Coats, who only needed one hit to drive in two RBIs. Dominic Diana, Kolby Eymann and Sharp also knocked in runs for the Vikings.
Cody Higgins led the offensive, going 3-for-3 and coming across the plate twice.
Bobby Gonzales and Liam Loftis shared mound duty, each hurling three-plus innings.
The Vikings put the loss behind them later that afternoon, edging Spring Creek 7-6.
South Tahoe took a one-run lead in the second, but Spring Creek's three-run third inning tied the game at 4-4. The score remained knotted at 5-5, but South Tahoe muscled out two runs to Spring Creek's one in the sixth for the win.
Sharp, the Vikings' ace, earned the win. Sharp threw six innings, striking out five and walking three.
Loftis, Diana and Eymann were the leading offensive contributors for South Tahoe. Loftis blasted in three RBIs and went 2-for-4. Diana was 3-for-3 with a double and two runs. Eymann also went 3-for-3 with two runs and an RBI.
UP NEXT: The Vikings will host Sparks at South Tahoe High School today at 3 p.m. The softball team also plays Sparks at home at 4 p.m.
Trending In: Local Sports
- Elevation Elite travel basketball program tips off in South Lake Tahoe
- Tang sisters medal in state championships
- Junior Giants brings free baseball program to South Shore; registration opens March 16
- South Tahoe football player to attend University of San Diego
- South Tahoe spring football undefeated in Excel Athletics prep
- Will big winter impact water temperature for swimmers in Lake Tahoe?
- Boaters leaving Lake Tahoe must remove drain plug
- Locals’ guide to Memorial Day in Tahoe: A light-hearted take on escaping the hustle and bustle
- South Lake Brewing Company celebrates grand opening (photos)
- Motorist hurt after going over side of Kingsbury Grade