Vikings split weekend games
April 2, 2013
It was a tough weekend for South Tahoe, but the baseball team swallowed its early losses and ended on a winning note.
South Tahoe dropped its Friday league game to Lowry 13-1. On Saturday, the boys lost the first game of a non-league doubleheader to Elko 12-5, and finished the day with a 7-6 win over Spring Creek.
South Tahoe's lone run against Lowry came from senior Tyler Sharp, who went 1-for-2 at the plate. River Quinn also contributed a hit.
The Vikings came out stronger Saturday against Elko, jumping out to an early 3-1 lead in the second inning. They held onto a 4-3 edge in the third, but Elko surged back in the fourth with six runs to cement a 12-5 win.
Key hits in the game came from Christian Coats, who only needed one hit to drive in two RBIs. Dominic Diana, Kolby Eymann and Sharp also knocked in runs for the Vikings.
Cody Higgins led the offensive, going 3-for-3 and coming across the plate twice.
Bobby Gonzales and Liam Loftis shared mound duty, each hurling three-plus innings.
The Vikings put the loss behind them later that afternoon, edging Spring Creek 7-6.
South Tahoe took a one-run lead in the second, but Spring Creek's three-run third inning tied the game at 4-4. The score remained knotted at 5-5, but South Tahoe muscled out two runs to Spring Creek's one in the sixth for the win.
Sharp, the Vikings' ace, earned the win. Sharp threw six innings, striking out five and walking three.
Loftis, Diana and Eymann were the leading offensive contributors for South Tahoe. Loftis blasted in three RBIs and went 2-for-4. Diana was 3-for-3 with a double and two runs. Eymann also went 3-for-3 with two runs and an RBI.
UP NEXT: The Vikings will host Sparks at South Tahoe High School today at 3 p.m. The softball team also plays Sparks at home at 4 p.m.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local Sports
- South Tahoe All-Stars run table in Babe Ruth 14-year-old Nevada tournament, claim state championship
- Elevation Elite travel basketball program tips off in South Lake Tahoe
- Tahoe Training Camps brings high-level soccer to the region, locals hit the pitch during South Lake Tahoe camp
- Beach volleyball tourney to hit Zephyr Cove
- Brosch looks to set more school records at state meet
- Truckee-Tahoe business owners tackle housing shortage by becoming landlords
- Review: What’s it like riding a LimeBike in South Lake Tahoe?
- Momentum picks up in fight against invasive plants in Tahoe Keys
- State of the Lake Report on Lake Tahoe to be presented July 27
- Woodacre man dies in single-vehicle crash on Highway 88 near South Lake Tahoe