Vikings tennis debuts with win
September 6, 2013
The Vikings tennis teams are making their case early.
Both the boys and girls teams defeated Incline in the first matches of the season, the girls at home and the boys on the road. As a team, the girls won 16-2 and the boys won 5-1.
Both teams have the players to make deep postseason runs this year. For the girls, it would be their second straight championship bid to state as well as a fourth straight All-State Academic Championship.
Among the singles players, Maggie Lee set the pace on Thursday. She won her first game 6-3, second game 6-1 and final game by default. Kylee Lyons added a 6-0 win and another win by default. Caia Enriquez also notched a 6-1 win.
The Vikings' double teams were unstoppable.
Catherine Baghdikian and Natalie Allen won their first game 6-0, won by default and then finished with another 6-0. Ashley Tarwater and Kayla Lyons also won two game 6-0 and by default.
Sarah Jobbins and Grace Bronken picked up one point with their 6-0 performance and one by default. Abi Killebrew and Mikayla Heffner added one more win with a 6-3 game.
Among the boys, Senior Chad Kassamanni won two, 6-2 and 6-0. Junior Adam Jarrett won two, 6-0 and 6-2, and freshman Louie Marin picked up a 6-4 win in the boys' debut match against Incline. The Incline boys team did not have a third singles player or any doubles teams.
UP NEXT: The boys will host Damonte Ranch at 3 p.m. on Tuesday, and the girls will play Damonte on the road.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local Sports
- South Tahoe Futbol Club U-18 Hawks, U-12 Tough girls soccer teams deliver championships at Come Up For Air
- American Century Championship reveals 2016 lineup; celebrity golf tournament returns to Edgewood Tahoe in July
- Elevation Elite travel basketball program tips off in South Lake Tahoe
- Sunzeri named athletic director at South Tahoe High
- AYSO Swarm U-10 girls soccer finishes season at Western State Championships
- Lake Tahoe kayaker recounts near-death experience in Upper Truckee River
- Kayaker reported missing at Lake Tahoe found safe in hotel room
- Ask Tessie: What are the most important rules of beach etiquette in Lake Tahoe?
- Minden woman who died after falling in Upper Truckee River remembered at celebration of life
- Search continues in reduced capacity for missing kayaker at Lake Tahoe