Vikings tennis | Vikings capture seven state spots
October 20, 2013
Chad Kaassamani, South Tahoe's No. 1 singles player, gave a performance to remember at individual regionals Friday and Saturday.
Kaassamani won the Division IA Northern Region Championship, with a 6-2 and 6-0 win over Truckee's Nico Gardella to claim the No. 1 seed heading into individual state competition.
South Tahoe No. 3 doubles team Gabe Tenocelotl and Morgan Petragallo finished third in Northern Nevada, beating the No. 3 team from Truckee, the No. 2 seed from Fallon and then eventually falling to the No. 1 seed from Truckee. They went on to win the third-place match against the No. 1 seed from Fallon. They will advance to the state tournament as the No. 3 seed.
This was a big underdog win for the doubles team. Petragallo was new to the tennis team this year and Tenocelotl is a second-year starter. Tenocelotl is a product of hard work in the Tahoe Tennis Academy, training all week and working the courts as an attendant during the summer.
"Both boys wanted the win so bad they said, 'nothing was going to stop them from achieving their goal of qualifying for the state doubles championships'," coach Justin Clark said.
Girls lock five spots.
Recommended Stories For You
The South Tahoe girls dominated the individual regional competition, locking up five individual spots at state.
No. 1 singles player Maggie Lee made it to the championship match where she fell to Incline's No. 1 seed. She will enter state competition in the No. 2 spot.
South Tahoe's Kylee Lyons captured third place at regionals and the No.3 seed entering individual state competition. She dropped her semifinal match to Incline's No. 1 seed, who went on to win the Regional Championships.
Senior doubles team Grace Bronken and Sarah Jobbins took second place at the regional competition and earned a corresponding No. 2 seed to state.
Senior doubles team Kayla Lyons and Ashlee Tarwater locked up third place to advance to state with a win over their teammates, doubles team Catherine Baghdikian and Natalie Allen.
Baghdikian and Allen will advance to state in the No. 4 seed.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local Sports
- South Tahoe spring football undefeated in Excel Athletics prep
- Football careers carry on for two Vikings
- Gridiron great: Whittell alum Mike Crawford inducted into Nevada Athletics Hall of Fame
- Lake Tahoe CC men’s soccer aims to build with quality in first recruiting class under Arbelaez
- Lakers, Storm win Kahle basketball championships
- South Lake Tahoe City Council backpedals on VHR ordinance
- Lake Tahoe weather: Chance of rain Thursday night, snow Friday morning
- Seamstress creates custom interior goods for Lake Tahoe homes
- Impending storm prompts closure of Sierra passes
- Douglas County jury finds man innocent in alleged sexual assault at Lake Tahoe