Vikings win final match but miss postseason
November 5, 2013
Final Northern Division I-A standings
South Tahoe 8-8
Spring Creek 3-13
Note: Top 4 advance to playoffs
x-clinch playoff berth
The South Tahoe volleyball team went out on a winning note Friday.
Although it wasn’t enough to secure a regional postseason berth, the defending state champs stormed back from a two-set deficit to defeat host Truckee, 22-25, 22-25, 25-17, 25-17, 16-14.
South Tahoe finished the year 8-8 in Northern Division I-A play, one win away from advancing to the regional tournament. Lowry (9-7) earned the fourth and final seed ahead of the Vikings.
Despite its loss, Truckee, at 13-3 in league play, retained its No. 2 regional playoff seed. The Wolverines will open the regional tournament Saturday at Dayton High School, where they’ll face third-seeded Elko (11-5) in a semifinal match at 2 p.m.
Top-seeded Dayton (16-0) will take on Lowry on Saturday at noon in the other regional semifinal. Winners meet in the regional final Saturday at 4 p.m., while the semifinal losers are eliminated from the postseason. The state championship is the following weekend in Las Vegas.
Trending In: Local Sports
- South Tahoe baseball | Vikings are playoff bound for first time in 20 years
- South Tahoe softball takes series from Elko, delivers first wins of season
- State champions: South Tahoe All-Stars beat Summerlin North, claim Little League Intermediate 50/70 Division Nevada crown
- Large Tahoe turnout for Burton Creek Trail Run
- American Century Championship reveals 2016 lineup; celebrity golf tournament returns to Edgewood Tahoe in July
- Lake Tahoe welcomes ski-in, ski-out coworking space at Heavenly Mountain Resort
- Man walks across America (and through Lake Tahoe) to spread word on drug overdose
- Michael Alan Laub
- Sierra-at-Tahoe Resort expands learning terrain, revamps menu, bids water bottles farewell for 2016-17 season
- My View (Carl Ribaudo): Why the Loop Road matters (opinion)