Vikings win final match but miss postseason
November 5, 2013
Final Northern Division I-A standings
South Tahoe 8-8
Spring Creek 3-13
Note: Top 4 advance to playoffs
x-clinch playoff berth
The South Tahoe volleyball team went out on a winning note Friday.
Although it wasn't enough to secure a regional postseason berth, the defending state champs stormed back from a two-set deficit to defeat host Truckee, 22-25, 22-25, 25-17, 25-17, 16-14.
South Tahoe finished the year 8-8 in Northern Division I-A play, one win away from advancing to the regional tournament. Lowry (9-7) earned the fourth and final seed ahead of the Vikings.
Despite its loss, Truckee, at 13-3 in league play, retained its No. 2 regional playoff seed. The Wolverines will open the regional tournament Saturday at Dayton High School, where they'll face third-seeded Elko (11-5) in a semifinal match at 2 p.m.
Top-seeded Dayton (16-0) will take on Lowry on Saturday at noon in the other regional semifinal. Winners meet in the regional final Saturday at 4 p.m., while the semifinal losers are eliminated from the postseason. The state championship is the following weekend in Las Vegas.
Trending In: Local Sports
- Beach battles: South Tahoe Beach Wrestling Championships return to Lakeview Commons for second edition, doubles in size
- 2013 Banked Slalom Results
- Beach volleyball tourney to hit Zephyr Cove
- Breaking the ice: South Lake Tahoe Vikings hockey delivers Northern California championship a decade in the making
- Community rallies around wrestling coach
- Vail Resorts extends ski season at Lake Tahoe resorts
- Snowboarder from Connecticut dies after falling into tree well at Tahoe-area resort
- Water managers may have to ‘spill’ water from Lake Tahoe
- Lake Tahoe weather: Storm winds down after dumping 2 feet of snow in 24 hours
- Drivers unlikely to be reimbursed for pothole damage