Vikings win final match but miss postseason
November 5, 2013
Final Northern Division I-A standings
South Tahoe 8-8
Spring Creek 3-13
Note: Top 4 advance to playoffs
x-clinch playoff berth
The South Tahoe volleyball team went out on a winning note Friday.
Although it wasn't enough to secure a regional postseason berth, the defending state champs stormed back from a two-set deficit to defeat host Truckee, 22-25, 22-25, 25-17, 25-17, 16-14.
South Tahoe finished the year 8-8 in Northern Division I-A play, one win away from advancing to the regional tournament. Lowry (9-7) earned the fourth and final seed ahead of the Vikings.
Despite its loss, Truckee, at 13-3 in league play, retained its No. 2 regional playoff seed. The Wolverines will open the regional tournament Saturday at Dayton High School, where they'll face third-seeded Elko (11-5) in a semifinal match at 2 p.m.
Top-seeded Dayton (16-0) will take on Lowry on Saturday at noon in the other regional semifinal. Winners meet in the regional final Saturday at 4 p.m., while the semifinal losers are eliminated from the postseason. The state championship is the following weekend in Las Vegas.
Trending In: Local Sports
- Lake Tahoe water board orders further study, cleanup of contaminated groundwater
- Reforestation begins after Emerald Fire; cause of burn released
- 2 found dead in plane wreckage under snow in California
- Ribaudo column: Housing in Tahoe — ‘like a bad toothache that doesn’t go away’
- Motorist airlifted to hospital after going over side of Kingsbury Grade