Waite’s hat trick sets tone
September 17, 2013
White Pine and West Wendover would not be easy wins, but everything was clicking for the Whittell boys soccer team this past weekend.
The Warriors played smart with sharp possessions to win their first two league games 3-1 against West Wendover and 9-0 against White Pine. The wins improve the boys to 8-0 overall and 2-0 in league.
The three-day trip started with a chippy game against West Wendover on Friday.
"It was a very physical game, but we played with a lot of heart and no one got hurt," head coach Timothy Plummer said.
Mark Waite scored all three goals for Whittell.
"Mark basically outhustled and out-physically played their defense to take over the game," Plummer said.
Bryce Bronken came through with the assists.
"Bryce was incredibly unselfish," Plummer said.
Goalkeeper Aubrey Felton was injured halfway through the game, but toughed it out to record the near shutout. West Wendover's only goal came off a penalty kick in the second half.
The Warriors faced a well-skilled White Pine team in the second game, but by Saturday they were clicking even more.
"We controlled that game for 80 minutes," Plummer said. "We played well as a team and had some great shots."
RJ Rupp led the team with three goals. Waite contributed two, Bronken two, Charlie Jurzenski one and Spencer Buchholz one. Bronken, Wait and Palmer Chaplin also contributed two assists apiece, along with assists from Buchholz and Jurzenski.
Every players saw time in the White Pine game.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local Sports
- South Tahoe All-Stars run table in Babe Ruth 14-year-old Nevada tournament, claim state championship
- Elevation Elite travel basketball program tips off in South Lake Tahoe
- Beach battles: South Tahoe Beach Wrestling Championships return to Lakeview Commons for second edition, doubles in size
- Beach volleyball tourney to hit Zephyr Cove
- South Tahoe track athlete commits to San Diego State University
- Review: What’s it like riding a LimeBike in South Lake Tahoe?
- Truckee-Tahoe business owners tackle housing shortage by becoming landlords
- South Lake Tahoe resident wins Tahoe Rim Trail Endurance Run 100 mile race
- Proposed Shoreline Plan could allow 138 new piers in Lake Tahoe
- Momentum picks up in fight against invasive plants in Tahoe Keys