Warriors awaken, top White Pine 6-1
April 1, 2013
Southpaw Cody Gibson returned to form and Whittell's bats broke loose for a 6-1 victory over White Pine on Friday afternoon.
The win earned the Warriors a split in the Battle Mountain Crossover Tourney. Gibby was in control on the knoll, allowing a single earned run, striking out nine and walking none. The Warriors played errorless ball behind him.
Hitting stars included Matt Elliott, who smacked a triple, Robbie Poet who garnered two hits, and Quinn Kixmiller who also hit safely. Alex Barnes "wore" one for the team, getting hit by a pitch with the bases loaded to force in a run.
The win over the Bobcats puts Whittell at 5-8, matching their win total for all of last season.
UP NEXT: Whittell will be in Covina, Calif., for a Northview High School tournament Monday through Thursday.
Trending In: Local Sports
- Tahoe Grizzlies make hockey history at state
- Whittell baseball falls to Virginia City 11-4, suffers first Div. IV West League loss
- Breaking the ice: South Lake Tahoe Vikings hockey delivers Northern California championship a decade in the making
- South Tahoe All-Stars run table in Babe Ruth 14-year-old Nevada tournament, claim state championship
- State champions: South Tahoe All-Stars beat Summerlin North, claim Little League Intermediate 50/70 Division Nevada crown