Warriors awaken, top White Pine 6-1
April 1, 2013
Southpaw Cody Gibson returned to form and Whittell's bats broke loose for a 6-1 victory over White Pine on Friday afternoon.
The win earned the Warriors a split in the Battle Mountain Crossover Tourney. Gibby was in control on the knoll, allowing a single earned run, striking out nine and walking none. The Warriors played errorless ball behind him.
Hitting stars included Matt Elliott, who smacked a triple, Robbie Poet who garnered two hits, and Quinn Kixmiller who also hit safely. Alex Barnes "wore" one for the team, getting hit by a pitch with the bases loaded to force in a run.
The win over the Bobcats puts Whittell at 5-8, matching their win total for all of last season.
UP NEXT: Whittell will be in Covina, Calif., for a Northview High School tournament Monday through Thursday.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local Sports
- American Century Championship reveals 2016 lineup; celebrity golf tournament returns to Edgewood Tahoe in July
- Beach battles: South Tahoe Beach Wrestling Championships return to Lakeview Commons for second edition, doubles in size
- Tahoe Training Camps brings high-level soccer to the region, locals hit the pitch during South Lake Tahoe camp
- Aces low: Whittell baseball falls to cross-lake foe Incline 14-4 at Greater Nevada Field
- South Tahoe softball athlete earns scholarship to play at South Dakota State University
- Smoke from Mariposa County fire continues to fill Tahoe Basin (video)
- Tahoe Keys Marina without running water as dispute over bills continues
- Mariposa County fire in California threatens 1,500 structures near Yosemite
- Carson City bypass ready for debut; residents to ride, run, walk final stretch of freeway Saturday
- Lake Tahoe Basin under air quality alert, dense smoke advisory as fire rages near Yosemite