Warriors basketball team overtakes Sierra Lutheran
January 16, 2014
The Whittell Warriors defeated Sierra Lutheran 60-42 on the road Tuesday.
"It was a great game for us because they were coming off a 1 point win over Virginia City and we needed to see just where we were in the division," Whittell coach Phil Bryant said in an email. "We already know that Virginia City and Mineral County were expected to be the strongest teams in our league and we quickly added some others to that list with Sierra Lutheran and Coleville. In fact we don't think any team is an easy win in our league. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the league champion has more than one loss at the end of the season."
Sophomore point guard Palmer Chaplin lead all scorers with 22 points. He was followed by Bryce Bronken, Quinn Kixmiller and Colin Buchholz, each with 10. Kixmiller lead the rebounders with 8 and Bronken had 5.
"Mark Waite had an outstanding defensive game for us and seems to set the stage for our defensive presence every week," Bryant said. "We are finally at the point where we have more balanced scoring. Having multiple players in double figures has been an objective of ours since day 1."
"It was a solid win over a well coached team. We expected it to be tough and it was. They have three good shooters and we are fortunate they didn't all get hot on the same night."
Bryant said he was pleased with Whittell's defensive adjustments, passing and the players' improvements.
"With the kids we have in the program now, our goal is to get Whittell basketball back on the Northern Nevada and State basketball map," he said. "If they keep working, we can get that done."
Whittell is currently 9-2 in the league, 2-0 away.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local Sports
- South Tahoe All-Stars run table in Babe Ruth 14-year-old Nevada tournament, claim state championship
- Elevation Elite travel basketball program tips off in South Lake Tahoe
- Tahoe Training Camps brings high-level soccer to the region, locals hit the pitch during South Lake Tahoe camp
- Beach volleyball tourney to hit Zephyr Cove
- Brosch looks to set more school records at state meet
- Truckee-Tahoe business owners tackle housing shortage by becoming landlords
- Review: What’s it like riding a LimeBike in South Lake Tahoe?
- Momentum picks up in fight against invasive plants in Tahoe Keys
- State of the Lake Report on Lake Tahoe to be presented July 27
- Woodacre man dies in single-vehicle crash on Highway 88 near South Lake Tahoe