Warriors basketball team overtakes Sierra Lutheran
January 16, 2014
The Whittell Warriors defeated Sierra Lutheran 60-42 on the road Tuesday.
"It was a great game for us because they were coming off a 1 point win over Virginia City and we needed to see just where we were in the division," Whittell coach Phil Bryant said in an email. "We already know that Virginia City and Mineral County were expected to be the strongest teams in our league and we quickly added some others to that list with Sierra Lutheran and Coleville. In fact we don't think any team is an easy win in our league. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the league champion has more than one loss at the end of the season."
Sophomore point guard Palmer Chaplin lead all scorers with 22 points. He was followed by Bryce Bronken, Quinn Kixmiller and Colin Buchholz, each with 10. Kixmiller lead the rebounders with 8 and Bronken had 5.
"Mark Waite had an outstanding defensive game for us and seems to set the stage for our defensive presence every week," Bryant said. "We are finally at the point where we have more balanced scoring. Having multiple players in double figures has been an objective of ours since day 1."
"It was a solid win over a well coached team. We expected it to be tough and it was. They have three good shooters and we are fortunate they didn't all get hot on the same night."
Bryant said he was pleased with Whittell's defensive adjustments, passing and the players' improvements.
"With the kids we have in the program now, our goal is to get Whittell basketball back on the Northern Nevada and State basketball map," he said. "If they keep working, we can get that done."
Whittell is currently 9-2 in the league, 2-0 away.
Trending In: Local Sports
- Whittell baseball falls to Virginia City 11-4, suffers first Div. IV West League loss
- South Tahoe All-Stars run table in Babe Ruth 14-year-old Nevada tournament, claim state championship
- State champions: South Tahoe All-Stars beat Summerlin North, claim Little League Intermediate 50/70 Division Nevada crown
- Tahoe Grizzlies make hockey history at state
- Lake Tahoe weather: Snow, rain, avalanches, mudslides and more possible this week
- Lake Tahoe within 3 feet of legal limit
- Ask Tahoe Tessie: When should I put chains on my tires?
- Lake Tahoe’s South Shore ski resorts prep for powder, large crowds on Presidents Day weekend
- Editor’s Notes: Some changes at the Tahoe Daily Tribune