Warriors battle in Virginia City match
September 26, 2013
Tuesday’s Key players
Zoe Bertz: 19 kills
Tori Jimenez: 9 kills, 5 aces, 26 points, 96 percent accuracy
Lizzie Anderson: 4 aces
Hailey Elliott: 14 points, 70 percent accuracy
Jasmine Munn: 4 aces, 24 points, 90 percent accuracy
Volleyball coach Kristi Moore doesn't necessarily mind a loss when the girls played like they did on Tuesday.
"We played strong," head coach Kristi Moore said. "We really held our own. I was really impressed with the girls."
The Whittell volleyball team battled through five games, but eventually lost to Virginia City at Whittell High School on Tuesday. The two teams exchanged games all night.
The Warriors won the first game 25-23, lost the next two games 17-25, 23-25, won the fourth game 25-23 and dropped the final game 11-15.
Moore was encouraged with what she saw from the girls throughout the five games.
"When we played Coleville and Smith Valley we were kind of falling apart in the back row. We couldn't get a dig up to save our lives, and we kind of changed where our base is, and I think we took every single hit that came to us," Moore said. "I was just so impressed with how much better they covered and went for everything."
Tori Jimenez was a big part of that backcourt success.
"Tori did a fabulous job back there," Moore said. "She popped every single one back up."
Jimenez was also the Warriors' top scorer with 26 points and 96 percent accuracy. She had five aces and nine kills.
Zoe Bertz led the Warriors in kills with 19.
"Zoe was phenominal," Moore said. "She had a lot of impressive kills."
Jasmine Munn also stepped up for Whittell. The senior notched 24 points with 90 percent accuracy. She also served four aces.
Hailey Elliott notched 14 points with 70 percent accuracy.
UP NEXT: The girls will host Pyramid Lake at 4 p.m. and 6 p.m. on Friday.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local Sports
- American Century Championship reveals 2016 lineup; celebrity golf tournament returns to Edgewood Tahoe in July
- South Tahoe Futbol Club U-18 Hawks, U-12 Tough girls soccer teams deliver championships at Come Up For Air
- Beach volleyball tourney to hit Zephyr Cove
- Elevation Elite travel basketball program tips off in South Lake Tahoe
- Sunzeri named athletic director at South Tahoe High
- Lake Tahoe kayaker recounts near-death experience in Upper Truckee River
- Kayaker reported missing at Lake Tahoe found safe in hotel room
- Ask Tessie: What are the most important rules of beach etiquette in Lake Tahoe?
- Minden woman who died after falling in Upper Truckee River remembered at celebration of life
- Search continues in reduced capacity for missing kayaker at Lake Tahoe