Warriors best Sierra Lutheran in four games
September 17, 2013
Serena Libert : 7 aces, 7 kills
Tori Jimenez: 5 aces, 4 kills
Lizzie Anderson: 19 digs
Hailey Elliott: 10 assists
Maggie Dean: 8 assists
Kelsey Kjer: 5 assists
Consistency, as unflashy as it sounds, was the common theme in Whittell's Saturday win.
"The first two games we were just really strong," head coach Kristi Moore said. "Nothing really stuck out. We just played with great consistency."
Reliable serving and steady backcourt defense led Whittell to a 3-1 win against Sierra Lutheran at home this past weekend. The girls won the first two games 25-19, dropped the third game 18-25 and closed out the match with another 25-19 win.
Behind it all were the serves of Serena Libert and Tori Jimenez. Both girls racked up 20 points apiece from the service line. Libert dealt seven aces and Jimenez four.
In the final game, Libert served eight unanswered points to expand the Warriors' lead from 4-3 to 13-3. Zoe Bertz eventually closed out the match with a hit from the back row that sent Sierra Lutheran scrambling.
All totaled, Whittell was 81 percent accurate from the service line, 74-of-91 attempts.
The Warriors were also incredibly accurate on returns, sending back 71 percent of Sierra Lutheran's serves. Libero Lizzie Anderson was all over the backcourt with 19 digs.
Whittell was 13-for-30 on kills. Libert led the attack with seven kills, and Jimenez added four.
Every player on the bench recorded some game time in the win, including the fluid JV players.
UP NEXT: The Warriors are now 2-0 in league and will travel to Coleville this weekend. Their next home game is against Virginia City at 6 p.m. on Tuesday, Sept. 24.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local Sports
- Large Tahoe turnout for Burton Creek Trail Run
- Breaking the ice: South Lake Tahoe Vikings hockey delivers Northern California championship a decade in the making
- State champions: South Tahoe All-Stars beat Summerlin North, claim Little League Intermediate 50/70 Division Nevada crown
- Beach battles: South Tahoe Beach Wrestling Championships return to Lakeview Commons for second edition, doubles in size
- Whittell baseball falls to Virginia City 11-4, suffers first Div. IV West League loss