Warriors break open Game 2
May 2, 2013
The Warriors needed one game to warm up, but once their bats started finding the ball they couldn't be stopped.
The Whittell softball team capped a doubleheader in Incline with a 24-10 win after dropping the first game 3-0 on Saturday in a Mount Rose League matchup.
Incline 3, Whittell 0
Incline's Sarah Wright and Whittell's Amanada Harris faced off in Game 1 pitchers' duel.
Amanda turned in an impressive six-inning performance for Whittell, giving up two hits, one earned run and striking out eight.
Wright pitched a complete game shutout for the Highlanders, scattering four hits, seven walks and striking out two.
Incline busted up the shutout in the third when a few Whittell defensive errors contributed to a three-run inning.
Whittell's key hits came from Emily Harris, who ripped a double, and Kendall Ferris, who added a triple. But the Warriors were unable to bring any of their runners home.
Whittell 24, Incline 10
Incline struggled with control in Game 2 and Whittell jumped out to an early two-run lead off six walks in the first inning.
Wright laced a triple in the bottom and came home on an error to make it 2-1.
But Whittell stretched its lead to 8-1 in the top of second, capitalizing on three more walks. Ferris also contributed a two-run double.
Incline notched another three runs in the bottom, 8-4, but couldn't stifle Whittell's momentum.
The Warriors blew up the game with an 11-run third inning, highlighted by Brianna Brewer's two RBI home run.
Brewer led the Warriors offense with a 2-for-3 performance that included three RBI, a double and her home run. Emily added a double in the fifth, and also came away with three RBI and two hits.
Amanda used a good eye to come across the plate five times for Whittell and record an RBI single.
Dominque Ogilvie also contributed two RBI and one hit. Nicki Simon and Kelsey Kjer added one RBI and one hit apiece.
UP NEXT: The Warriors head into playoffs this weekend. They are now 17-12 overall and 8-4 in league.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local Sports
- Beach battles: South Tahoe Beach Wrestling Championships return to Lakeview Commons for second edition, doubles in size
- State champions: South Tahoe All-Stars beat Summerlin North, claim Little League Intermediate 50/70 Division Nevada crown
- Truckee prevails in matchup with Lady Vikings
- Adult Flag Football looking for players
- A’s win South Tahoe Babe Ruth championship, beat Angels 14-2 in winner-take-all title game
- Review: What’s it like riding a LimeBike in South Lake Tahoe?
- Lake Tahoe Basin under air quality alert, dense smoke advisory as fire rages near Yosemite
- Proposed Shoreline Plan could allow 138 new piers in Lake Tahoe
- Tahoe Chamber debuts South Shore Beer Trail
- Clearly Tahoe offers new perspective of Lake Tahoe with clear kayaks