Warriors break open Game 2
May 2, 2013
The Warriors needed one game to warm up, but once their bats started finding the ball they couldn't be stopped.
The Whittell softball team capped a doubleheader in Incline with a 24-10 win after dropping the first game 3-0 on Saturday in a Mount Rose League matchup.
Incline 3, Whittell 0
Incline's Sarah Wright and Whittell's Amanada Harris faced off in Game 1 pitchers' duel.
Amanda turned in an impressive six-inning performance for Whittell, giving up two hits, one earned run and striking out eight.
Wright pitched a complete game shutout for the Highlanders, scattering four hits, seven walks and striking out two.
Recommended Stories For You
Incline busted up the shutout in the third when a few Whittell defensive errors contributed to a three-run inning.
Whittell's key hits came from Emily Harris, who ripped a double, and Kendall Ferris, who added a triple. But the Warriors were unable to bring any of their runners home.
Whittell 24, Incline 10
Incline struggled with control in Game 2 and Whittell jumped out to an early two-run lead off six walks in the first inning.
Wright laced a triple in the bottom and came home on an error to make it 2-1.
But Whittell stretched its lead to 8-1 in the top of second, capitalizing on three more walks. Ferris also contributed a two-run double.
Incline notched another three runs in the bottom, 8-4, but couldn't stifle Whittell's momentum.
The Warriors blew up the game with an 11-run third inning, highlighted by Brianna Brewer's two RBI home run.
Brewer led the Warriors offense with a 2-for-3 performance that included three RBI, a double and her home run. Emily added a double in the fifth, and also came away with three RBI and two hits.
Amanda used a good eye to come across the plate five times for Whittell and record an RBI single.
Dominque Ogilvie also contributed two RBI and one hit. Nicki Simon and Kelsey Kjer added one RBI and one hit apiece.
UP NEXT: The Warriors head into playoffs this weekend. They are now 17-12 overall and 8-4 in league.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local Sports
- Clear Creek: A gem in the Tahoe forest
- Elevation Elite travel basketball program tips off in South Lake Tahoe
- Success in strength: New Viking Strength and Conditioning Center offers cutting-edge tool for South Tahoe athletics
- 2013 Banked Slalom Results
- Herrera takes state: South Tahoe wrestler wins Div. I-A State championship in dominant fashion
- Carousel Estate on Lake Tahoe West Shore on market for $29.5 million (video)
- New mountain community under construction near Lake Tahoe
- J-1 visa program helps Lake Tahoe South Shore businesses
- Changes to South Lake Tahoe vacation home rental rules finalized
- Lake Tahoe weather: Rain possible today, cloudy conditions to linger through week