Warriors conquer Lakers, Grizzlies
February 4, 2014
Whittell boys basketball improved to 18-3 overall with wins on Friday night at Pyramid Lake and Monday night against Loyalton.
Sophomore captain Palmer Chaplin led the Warriors in scoring with 29 points on Friday against the Lakers. Freshman Cole Snyder followed with eight.
Despite the win, Whittell had trouble finding the net as shot after shot rimmed out and several easy scoring opportunities went unfinished.
"For some reason we seem to go into a shooting slump when we play Pyramid Lake," head coach Phil Bryant said in an email. "It can't just be us, so we have to credit the defensive efforts of their kids."
On Monday night, the Warriors battled Loyalton Grizzlies and didn't allow a single point until just over one minute left in the first quarter, which ended with a score of 18-4. Whittell continued the double-digit lead going into halftime with a score of 37-16.
With the lead, the Warriors lost a sense of urgency and, Bryant said the team played carelessly through the second half.
"Games like this are hard for kids to keep their focus," said Bryant. "We used every player on the roster and the combinations created some execution problems at times."
Whittell went on to win 58-34 and continue to hold the top spot in the IV Northern League.
Mark Waite led the team with 19 points and nine rebounds. Bryce Bronken followed with 12 points and Palmer Chaplin had 11.
The team shot 26 percent from the field and went one for 19 in 3-pointers.
Whittell has three league games left on the season and have a one game lead in the standings.
"The opportunity to win a championship is right in front of us," said Bryant.
The next game is home Friday against Sage Ridge.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local Sports
- Beach battles: South Tahoe Beach Wrestling Championships return to Lakeview Commons for second edition, doubles in size
- Beach volleyball tourney to hit Zephyr Cove
- Big BMX qualifier
- Los Angeles Jr. Kings hockey teams drop the puck for training camp in South Lake Tahoe
- Reno Aces baseball announces opening day roster, opens 2016 season Thursday at Greater Nevada Field
- Lake Tahoe kayaker recounts near-death experience in Upper Truckee River
- Stand up pedalboards making waves around Lake Tahoe
- Harrah’s, Harveys Lake Tahoe to charge for holiday, special event parking
- Revisiting Angora Fire 10 years after devastating blaze ignited in Lake Tahoe
- Edgewood Tahoe celebrates completion of $100M lodge