Warriors get weekend off
April 23, 2013
Since North Tahoe doesn't have a softball team this year, the Whittell girls got the weekend off.
The girls had earned the rest though, with a 12-0 win over Smith Valley in their last road game on Tuesday, April 16.
Whittell ace Amanda Harris pitched another gem for the Warriors, striking out 12 batters in five innings. She struck out the side in three of those innings, and held Smith Valley to four batters in the other two.
The Warriors took a 4-0 lead in the first inning. They lengthened the lead to 8-0 in the second, added three more in the third and a final run in the fourth made it 12-0.
Leadoff batter Gianna Miller opened the game with a single, stole her way to third and came home on an error.
Catcher Emily Harris made it 3-0 when she ripped a two-run double with no outs and then came home on an error.
Jasmine Munn started the Warriors' offense in the second with a single, and Miller brought her home with a double. Miller went 3-for-4 in the five innings.
Brianna Brewer capped the Warriors' second-inning surge with a triple to deep center. The No. 3 hitter contributed two hits and two RBI to the Warriors' win.
Amada Harris kept the momentum rolling in the third with a double, and came home on Brewer's single.
Whittell hosted Incline on Tuesday and lost 6-5. Whittell took a 2-0 lead in the first inning before Incline tied it in the second. Both teams added two runs in the second to keep the score knotted at 4-4. Whittell jumped ahead 5-4 in the fourth, but Incline rallied in the sixth inning with two runs.
Emily led Whittell's offense with a 4-for-4 plate performance that included two triples, a double and three RBIs. Miller contributed two hits and two runs for Whittell. Amanda added two hits and two runs, and Sarah Tencher blasted one hit and one run.
UP NEXT: The girls will travel to Incline for a doubleheader on Saturday.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local Sports
- South Tahoe All-Stars run table in Babe Ruth 14-year-old Nevada tournament, claim state championship
- Beach battles: South Tahoe Beach Wrestling Championships return to Lakeview Commons for second edition, doubles in size
- State champions: South Tahoe All-Stars beat Summerlin North, claim Little League Intermediate 50/70 Division Nevada crown
- A’s win South Tahoe Babe Ruth championship, beat Angels 14-2 in winner-take-all title game
- Beach volleyball tourney to hit Zephyr Cove
- Review: What’s it like riding a LimeBike in South Lake Tahoe?
- Truckee-Tahoe business owners tackle housing shortage by becoming landlords
- South Lake Tahoe resident wins Tahoe Rim Trail Endurance Run 100 mile race
- Proposed Shoreline Plan could allow 138 new piers in Lake Tahoe
- Momentum picks up in fight against invasive plants in Tahoe Keys