Warriors get weekend off
April 23, 2013
Since North Tahoe doesn't have a softball team this year, the Whittell girls got the weekend off.
The girls had earned the rest though, with a 12-0 win over Smith Valley in their last road game on Tuesday, April 16.
Whittell ace Amanda Harris pitched another gem for the Warriors, striking out 12 batters in five innings. She struck out the side in three of those innings, and held Smith Valley to four batters in the other two.
The Warriors took a 4-0 lead in the first inning. They lengthened the lead to 8-0 in the second, added three more in the third and a final run in the fourth made it 12-0.
Leadoff batter Gianna Miller opened the game with a single, stole her way to third and came home on an error.
Catcher Emily Harris made it 3-0 when she ripped a two-run double with no outs and then came home on an error.
Jasmine Munn started the Warriors' offense in the second with a single, and Miller brought her home with a double. Miller went 3-for-4 in the five innings.
Brianna Brewer capped the Warriors' second-inning surge with a triple to deep center. The No. 3 hitter contributed two hits and two RBI to the Warriors' win.
Amada Harris kept the momentum rolling in the third with a double, and came home on Brewer's single.
Whittell hosted Incline on Tuesday and lost 6-5. Whittell took a 2-0 lead in the first inning before Incline tied it in the second. Both teams added two runs in the second to keep the score knotted at 4-4. Whittell jumped ahead 5-4 in the fourth, but Incline rallied in the sixth inning with two runs.
Emily led Whittell's offense with a 4-for-4 plate performance that included two triples, a double and three RBIs. Miller contributed two hits and two runs for Whittell. Amanda added two hits and two runs, and Sarah Tencher blasted one hit and one run.
UP NEXT: The girls will travel to Incline for a doubleheader on Saturday.
Trending In: Local Sports
- Hungry for state: Lake Tahoe CC men’s soccer aims to possess its way to the top after Final Four defeat
- Lake Tahoe CC men’s soccer aims to build with quality in first recruiting class under Arbelaez
- South Tahoe baseball can’t break through at Div. I-A Northern Region tournament, falls to Elko, Fallon
- South Tahoe JV baseball sweeps Fallon in league debut
- South Tahoe softball players earn honors; Conard, Barcellos make All-State teams
- How long will ski season run at Lake Tahoe resorts?
- Tahoe in the movies: In Oscar fashion, learn about films that feature the basin
- Snowboarder from Connecticut dies after falling into tree well at Tahoe-area resort
- Man wanted in Mendocino murder arrested in South Lake Tahoe
- South Lake Brewing Company preps for opening