Warriors piecing together new team
Ryan Summerlin September 13, 2013
Zoe Bertz: 7 kills 4 aces
Serena Libert: 4 kills
Hale Elliott: 4 kills, 4 aces
Lizzie Anderson: 4 aces, 9 digs
The season is just getting under way for Warriors volleyball and the new team is starting to put the pieces together.
It started at the Winnemucca and Yerington tournament, where the Warriors tested their endurance against some powerhouse competition. Whittell was the only Division IV team out there, so wins weren’t necessarily the goal, but seeing how the girls played together on the court was important, head coach Kristi Moore said.
The girls got a chance to notch one under the win category, however, during their first league match against Hawthorne on Tuesday. The Warriors won in three straight matches: 25-20, 25-14 and 25-16. It was a promising win, but a much-tougher Sierra Lutheran is on the menu for Saturday.
The Warriors lost some key seniors to graduation — outside Amanda Harris, middle Emily Harris, setter Collete Craig and libero Katie Besson — but two starters return from last year and are stepping up.
Outside hitter Zoe Bertz is a senior who saw significant starting time as a junior last year. She led the Warriors in the Hawthorne game with seven kills and four aces.
Returning starter Tori Jimenez will also be a big part of the Warriors’ offensive attack this year. She has an exceptional swing at the net, strong fundamentals in the backcourt and a consistent serve.
Lizzie Anderson will lead the defense at libero and sophomore Kelsey Kjer and senior Hailey Elliott will split time at setter.
The team still needs to overcome some growing pains and come together if it wants to make a postseason run, but the pieces are there. Right now it’s a matter of getting them in order.
Trending In: Local Sports
- South Tahoe girls soccer blanks Elko, Spring Creek, delivers first shutouts of season
- State champions: South Tahoe All-Stars beat Summerlin North, claim Little League Intermediate 50/70 Division Nevada crown
- Lake Tahoe CC women’s soccer reveals 2016 recruiting class, looks to build with talented, versatile group
- Four Lake Tahoe CC women’s soccer local products sign with NAIA programs; Carroll inks with Martin Methodist
- South Tahoe softball takes series from Elko, delivers first wins of season