Warriors piecing together new team
September 13, 2013
Zoe Bertz: 7 kills 4 aces
Serena Libert: 4 kills
Hale Elliott: 4 kills, 4 aces
Lizzie Anderson: 4 aces, 9 digs
The season is just getting under way for Warriors volleyball and the new team is starting to put the pieces together.
It started at the Winnemucca and Yerington tournament, where the Warriors tested their endurance against some powerhouse competition. Whittell was the only Division IV team out there, so wins weren't necessarily the goal, but seeing how the girls played together on the court was important, head coach Kristi Moore said.
The girls got a chance to notch one under the win category, however, during their first league match against Hawthorne on Tuesday. The Warriors won in three straight matches: 25-20, 25-14 and 25-16. It was a promising win, but a much-tougher Sierra Lutheran is on the menu for Saturday.
The Warriors lost some key seniors to graduation — outside Amanda Harris, middle Emily Harris, setter Collete Craig and libero Katie Besson — but two starters return from last year and are stepping up.
Outside hitter Zoe Bertz is a senior who saw significant starting time as a junior last year. She led the Warriors in the Hawthorne game with seven kills and four aces.
Returning starter Tori Jimenez will also be a big part of the Warriors' offensive attack this year. She has an exceptional swing at the net, strong fundamentals in the backcourt and a consistent serve.
Lizzie Anderson will lead the defense at libero and sophomore Kelsey Kjer and senior Hailey Elliott will split time at setter.
The team still needs to overcome some growing pains and come together if it wants to make a postseason run, but the pieces are there. Right now it's a matter of getting them in order.
Trending In: Local Sports
- South Tahoe Vikings track team starts season
- South Tahoe baseball begins Northern 3A conference play
- South Tahoe swim team dives into 2017 season
- Elevation Elite travel basketball program tips off in South Lake Tahoe
- Success in strength: New Viking Strength and Conditioning Center offers cutting-edge tool for South Tahoe athletics
- Another roof collapses near Lake Tahoe
- Tahoe Science Logbook: What a wet winter means for Lake Tahoe
- Tahoe crime recap: Drunk driver tries to run witness off road after hitting bicyclist
- Marina fee increase forces cancellation of 2017 South Tahoe Wooden Boat Classic
- South Lake Tahoe City Council awards bid for bike path