Whittell boys sweep through Greenville Tournament
Ryan Summerlin December 9, 2013
The Whittell boys basketball team couldn’t have asked for a better start to its season.
The Warriors swept through the Greenville (Calif.) Tournament in dominant fashion en route to the championship this past weekend, outscoring their opponents by 100 points in three games.
Whittell opened with a 66-31 rout over Herlong and followed with a 64-28 thumping of Westwood and a 52-23 beating of Hayfork.
Whittell sophomore point guard Palmer Chaplin was named Tournament MVP and junior Bryce Bronken and senior Mark Waite were All-Tourney selections.
Palmer led all scorers with 57 points in the three games, while Bronken scored 35 and Colin Buchholz 28. Palmer also totaled 17 steals and 17 assists. Waite stood out defensively, leading the team in taking charges and finishing with 13 steals.
In all, the Warriors had 68 steals in the three games.
Whittell head coach Phil Bryant said sophomores Colin Buchholz and Quinn Snyder also played well in the tournament, as did freshman Cole Snyder in his first varsity action.
“We are a very young team with four sophomores and a freshman on varsity, but (we) seem to be improving each time out,” Bryant said. “We have the toughest part of the preseason coming up with games against Incline, White Pine, North Tahoe and others. We aren’t quite ready for the level Virgina City is playing but we are hopefully closing the gap some.”
The Warriors, who are competing for the first year in the Division IV, will host the Whittell Tournament from Wednesday through Saturday.
According to Maxpreps.com, they open against Incline on Wednesday at 7:30 p.m. and follow with games against White Pine on Thursday at 7:20 p.m., Lee Vining on Friday 12:40 p.m., Mammoth on Friday at 6 p.m. and North Tahoe on Saturday at 6:20 p.m.
Trending In: Local Sports
- South Tahoe girls soccer blanks Elko, Spring Creek, delivers first shutouts of season
- State champions: South Tahoe All-Stars beat Summerlin North, claim Little League Intermediate 50/70 Division Nevada crown
- Lake Tahoe CC women’s soccer reveals 2016 recruiting class, looks to build with talented, versatile group
- Four Lake Tahoe CC women’s soccer local products sign with NAIA programs; Carroll inks with Martin Methodist
- South Tahoe softball takes series from Elko, delivers first wins of season