Whittell cruises by Mineral County
Ryan Summerlin February 12, 2014
Whittell boys extended their winning streak to nine games on Tuesday night with a win against Mineral County.
Coach Phil Bryant said the team didn’t have their usual fast start and the first half ended with Whittell ahead 33-27
The Warriors came out strong in the second half and ended the game with a 68-48 win.
“I thought we really wore them down with the press and it was the difference in the game,” Bryant stated in an email.
Palmer Chaplin was the highest scorer of the game ending the night 34 points.
“They came out with a defense that was designed to hold down Palmer’s scoring but we are used to that and we can get him open, plus it leaves other players with great scoring opportunities,” said Bryant.
Bryce Bronken followed with 15 points and Mark Waite had 12.
Whittel went into the night with a one game lead over Virginia City and a two game lead over Mineral County. They held on to that lead and have guaranteed themselves a season finish of no lower than second place in the Western side of Division IV.
Bryant credits the success of his team to the players, many of whom arrive at the gym as early as 6:30 a.m. to work on shooting and ball handling skills. The extra work of the players has paid off this season and is making the future of Whittell basketball look bright.
The Warriors next game is home Friday night against Excel Christian Academy before closing out the regular season at second place Virginia City.
Trending In: Local Sports
- South Tahoe girls soccer blanks Elko, Spring Creek, delivers first shutouts of season
- South Tahoe football beats Lowry 44-6, stays healthy while winning third straight
- State champions: South Tahoe All-Stars beat Summerlin North, claim Little League Intermediate 50/70 Division Nevada crown
- Slow start costs Whittell football in 36-30 loss to Virginia City
- Success in strength: New Viking Strength and Conditioning Center offers cutting-edge tool for South Tahoe athletics
- Collin still committed to South Lake Tahoe council candidacy after fatal wreck
- Letter: BEAR League board member says, ‘We are not making this up’
- Tahoe Keys to apply for herbicide trial in effort to fight aquatic invasive species
- My view: Nevada vs. California mentality undermines community (opinion)
- Membership-based airline expands service to and from Truckee Tahoe Airport