Whittell cruises by Mineral County
February 12, 2014
Whittell boys extended their winning streak to nine games on Tuesday night with a win against Mineral County.
Coach Phil Bryant said the team didn't have their usual fast start and the first half ended with Whittell ahead 33-27
The Warriors came out strong in the second half and ended the game with a 68-48 win.
"I thought we really wore them down with the press and it was the difference in the game," Bryant stated in an email.
Palmer Chaplin was the highest scorer of the game ending the night 34 points.
"They came out with a defense that was designed to hold down Palmer's scoring but we are used to that and we can get him open, plus it leaves other players with great scoring opportunities," said Bryant.
Bryce Bronken followed with 15 points and Mark Waite had 12.
Whittel went into the night with a one game lead over Virginia City and a two game lead over Mineral County. They held on to that lead and have guaranteed themselves a season finish of no lower than second place in the Western side of Division IV.
Bryant credits the success of his team to the players, many of whom arrive at the gym as early as 6:30 a.m. to work on shooting and ball handling skills. The extra work of the players has paid off this season and is making the future of Whittell basketball look bright.
The Warriors next game is home Friday night against Excel Christian Academy before closing out the regular season at second place Virginia City.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local Sports
- Beach volleyball tourney to hit Zephyr Cove
- American Century Championship reveals 2016 lineup; celebrity golf tournament returns to Edgewood Tahoe in July
- Elevation Elite travel basketball program tips off in South Lake Tahoe
- In a lane of her own: South Tahoe alum Snyder continues to break down barriers in NASCAR
- Lake Tahoe CC women’s soccer reveals 2016 recruiting class, looks to build with talented, versatile group
- Lake Tahoe kayaker recounts near-death experience in Upper Truckee River
- Edgewood Tahoe celebrates completion of $100M lodge
- Parking restrictions beefed up at Raley’s Village Center
- 5 things to know about the proposed South Lake Tahoe sales tax for roads
- Minden woman who died after falling in Upper Truckee River remembered at celebration of life