Whittell defeats Coleville
December 23, 2013
The Whittell Warriors squeaked past Coleville with a 54-53 league win on the road Friday, boosting the team's record to 7-2 overall, 1-1 I-V Northern.
"We had a double-digit lead at the half and got real complacent and careless while committing 11 turnovers in the third period, most unforced errors," Whittell coach Phil Bryant said.
Whittell also struggled to score, shooting 21 for 60 from the field and just 10 for 19 from the free throw line.
"It was a road win, so that's the good thing about the game. We played poorly and were still able to escape."
Mark Waite led the Warriors in scoring with 16 points. Palmer Chaplin scored 12 and Quinn Kixmiller scored nine.
"It was great to see Mark get on the board with 16 points. I think it's his highest scoring game in his high school career. He is our defensive stopper and we usually don't expect him to score as he did, but it was a welcome addition to have his points. The game was pretty physical and we ended up with a couple of split lips from the contact," Bryant said.
Whittell's varsity home games against Mineral County were canceled Saturday because of a scheduling error.
Trending In: Local Sports
- Fresno man falls to his death at Harveys Lake Tahoe
- Former StubHub CTO to launch mental health care app based in South Lake Tahoe
- Bear activity picking up around Lake Tahoe; people urged to be ‘bear aware’
- Dine, stay and play at some of Lake Tahoe’s Alps-inspired locales
- Brutal winter at Lake Tahoe unlikely to push school year later into summer