Whittell defeats Smith Valley
January 15, 2014
Editor's note: Smith Valley was previously misidentified as South Valley in the original version of this story. The story has been updated to reflect the change.
Whittell cruised past the Smith Valley Bulldogs in a lopsided 72-20 conference win at home Saturday.
The Warriors wasted no time in getting started.
A full-court press forced the Bulldogs into turnover after turnover and a fast-paced Whittell offense ran the ball down the court and quickly converted them into points.
With a string of fast-break baskets and a 3-pointer, the Warriors took a 9-0 lead in the first minute of play.
That 9-0 lead quickly ballooned into a 32-0 lead by the end of the first quarter. Smith Valley (2-8, 1-2 IV Northern) would never recover.
"That's our style of play, fast pace, push the ball and play good defense on the other end," Whittell coach Phil Bryant said.
The win over Smith Valley follows a much tighter 54-53 league win at Coleville. It marks the Warriors' fifth-straight win.
"In the last league game we played we didn't come out playing hard. I think they came out expecting to win, instead of working to win, and it kind of showed," Bryant said.
"Tonight we wanted to make sure we came out with good intensity. As a coach we can take whatever happens if we're playing hard, win or lose."
Palmer Chaplin led Whittell's offense with a game-high 16 points. Bryce Bronken scored 14, Mark Waite scored 10 and Colin Buchholz scored nine.
With the win, Whittell improves to 8-2 overall and 2-0 in IV Northern league play.
The team plays three more league games this week.
The Warriors faced Sierra Lutheran (7-5, 2-1) on the road Tuesday and will play Excel Christian (2-9, 0-3) on the road Friday. They return home to play Pyramid Lake (3-6, 1-2) Saturday.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local Sports
- Beach volleyball tourney to hit Zephyr Cove
- Elevation Elite travel basketball program tips off in South Lake Tahoe
- South Tahoe track athlete commits to San Diego State University
- South Tahoe All-Stars run table in Babe Ruth 14-year-old Nevada tournament, claim state championship
- Tahoe Training Camps brings high-level soccer to the region, locals hit the pitch during South Lake Tahoe camp
- Truckee-Tahoe business owners tackle housing shortage by becoming landlords
- Jack Johnson donates to Lake Tahoe environmental groups
- State of the Lake Report on Lake Tahoe to be presented July 27
- Woodacre man dies in single-vehicle crash on Highway 88 near South Lake Tahoe
- Review: What’s it like riding a LimeBike in South Lake Tahoe?