Whittell girls take state title in giant slalom
March 6, 2014
Whittell’s girls ski team won the state championship in giant slalom last week at Squaw Valley, beating second-place South Tahoe by a score of 105-102.
The Warriors’ win was sealed with three top-10 finishes: Madison Idso placed second with a combined time of 1:30.38, Michael Gardener was sixth with 1:33.01 and Danika Bunnett placed seventh with 1:33.22.
At the state championship duals races at Alpine Meadows the next day, Whittell finished with the most team points, 86, ahead of South Tahoe with 83. The first-place individual winner was Maia Bickert of South Tahoe.
“I was proud of how all eight girls skied over the two days. I thought they all did a great job,” said Warriors head coach Patrick Kelly. “We had a fantastic season.”
Senior Danika Bunnett was named league MVP.
Whittell placed third in the slalom races with 88 team points. South Tahoe came in first with 117 and Incline High School placed second with 89 points.
The giant slalom win is the first state championship for skiing at Whitttell, to Kelly’s knowledge. The team finished second in the overall state title competition behind South Tahoe.
Trending In: Local Sports
- South Tahoe football flattens Fernley 36-8 in home opener, Galli shines in first varsity start
- State champions: South Tahoe All-Stars beat Summerlin North, claim Little League Intermediate 50/70 Division Nevada crown
- McLaughlin steps away from the court after two decades coaching volleyball at South Tahoe, Whittell
- South Tahoe softball takes series from Elko, delivers first wins of season
- Success in strength: New Viking Strength and Conditioning Center offers cutting-edge tool for South Tahoe athletics