Whittell names athletes of the year
June 12, 2014
Whittell High School's Mark Waite and Zoe Bertz were both named athletes of the year for the 2013-14 school year.
Waite, a senior, was a three sport athlete in soccer, basketball and track.
On the soccer team, he led the team and league in scoring and was named captain his senior year.
"We scored the big goals in the big games," said head soccer coach Timothy Plummer. "He's a quiet leader. He leads by example and he supports everyone on the team."
He was a three-year starter for the basketball team and led the Warriors to the 2014 state championship.
"He was instrumental in our defensive scheme by playing the primary interceptor in our presses. He developed into a skilled offensive performer and always came up big in big games," head basketball coach Phil Bryant said. "He was always ready to give his best in practice or in games, never takes a minute off. There is no question that we wouldn't have been State Champions without Mark."
In the state championship game, Waite was named "Player of the Game."
Waite finished his career at Whittell on the track team, which he also captained, and took home four first place medals at the state track meet. He placed first in every race he competed at the meet, the 400-meter, 800-meter, 1600-meter and 4×800-meter.
"He was a very talented runner his freshman year and continued to improve," said Plummer, who's also the coach for the track team.
Waite will continue his soccer career as part of Lake Tahoe Community College's new soccer team his fall.
Bertz, a senior, played on the volleyball team in the fall and this past season made 1st-team All-Conference in the outside hitter position. She led the team in digs and was second in the league for kills.
"She was definitely pivotal in making sure we were successful," head volleyball coach Kristi Moore said. "She's a great athlete."
Bertz was a starting forward on the basketball team in the winter and was on the golf team in the spring.
As part of the golf team, Bertz was one of two girls to qualify for the NIAA Division III Northern Championship Tournament this season and finished tied for ninth, the second best finish for a Whittell golfer at the tournament. She helped Whittell to a third place overall finish.
Trending In: Local Sports
- Beach battles: South Tahoe Beach Wrestling Championships return to Lakeview Commons for second edition, doubles in size
- 2013 Banked Slalom Results
- Beach volleyball tourney to hit Zephyr Cove
- Breaking the ice: South Lake Tahoe Vikings hockey delivers Northern California championship a decade in the making
- Community rallies around wrestling coach
- Vail Resorts extends ski season at Lake Tahoe resorts
- Snowboarder from Connecticut dies after falling into tree well at Tahoe-area resort
- Water managers may have to ‘spill’ water from Lake Tahoe
- Lake Tahoe weather: Storm winds down after dumping 2 feet of snow in 24 hours
- Drivers unlikely to be reimbursed for pothole damage