Whittell soccer | Maltase nets two in Warriors win
September 26, 2013
Kenya Maltase stood out as a freshman player last year.
Now as a sophomore, she's make an even bigger impact on the Whittell girls soccer team. Maltase netted two goals against a strong North Tahoe team to lead the Warriors to a 3-0 win on the road Tuesday. The girls are now 6-0 overall and 5-0 in league.
Whittell's defense and goalkeeper stepped up to preserve the shutout, and the mids and forwards set a controlled and fast-paced game on Tuesday.
"The girls moved the ball around really well," head coach Patrick Kelly.
Maltase blasted in her first off a goal kick. She trapped the ball and quickly took her shot with the goalie out of position.
Senior Jenny Shepack also contributed a goal to the 3-0 effort. She now leads the Warriors with 12 goals to her name this season, an average of two goals a game.
Freshman Gigi Stetler recorded an assist. It was her fifth assist of the season.
UP NEXT: The Warriors The girls hosted Incline on Thursday and will travel to Quincy on Friday.
Trending In: Local Sports
- Beach battles: South Tahoe Beach Wrestling Championships return to Lakeview Commons for second edition, doubles in size
- 2013 Banked Slalom Results
- Beach volleyball tourney to hit Zephyr Cove
- Breaking the ice: South Lake Tahoe Vikings hockey delivers Northern California championship a decade in the making
- Community rallies around wrestling coach
- Vail Resorts extends ski season at Lake Tahoe resorts
- Snowboarder from Connecticut dies after falling into tree well at Tahoe-area resort
- Water managers may have to ‘spill’ water from Lake Tahoe
- Lake Tahoe weather: Storm winds down after dumping 2 feet of snow in 24 hours
- Drivers unlikely to be reimbursed for pothole damage