Whittell Soccer | Short-handed Warriors hold on
September 26, 2013
Despite playing one-man down, Whittell hung on for a 3-2 win at North Tahoe on Tuesday.
The Warriors took a 2-1 lead in the 50th minute of the game, but lost a player to a double yellow card. Whittell was now down to 10 players with 30 minutes to go. The Warriors's 10 would need to hold off Lakers's 11, and it wasn't looking likely.
Whittell took a 1-0 lead in the first half. Bryce Bronken took a shot on goal that was deflected, but Mark Waite was there to follow up.
The Lakers answered with a goal to knot the score 1-1 before halftime rolled around.
Whittell regained its edge 10 minutes into the second half. Bronken sent a hard shot again off an assist from RJ Rupp, and this time it blasted past the Lakers' diving goalkeeper into the lower left corner of the box.
The goal gave the Warriors a 2-1 lead, and then they lost a player.
The Lakers took advantage if the numbers a few minutes later, tying the score once again.
But the Warriors' 10 still had some fight. With 10 minutes left in the game, Whittell defender Spencer Buchholz took an indirect kick from the midfield that went off the goalkeepers' hand into net.
"And then we held on to win," head coach Timothy Plummer said. "Aubrey (Fulton) made some good saves, and our defense made some good saves."
UP NEXT: Whittell is now 3-0 in league. The boys hosted Incline on Thursday and traveled to Quincy on Friday.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local Sports
- South Tahoe All-Stars run table in Babe Ruth 14-year-old Nevada tournament, claim state championship
- Beach battles: South Tahoe Beach Wrestling Championships return to Lakeview Commons for second edition, doubles in size
- State champions: South Tahoe All-Stars beat Summerlin North, claim Little League Intermediate 50/70 Division Nevada crown
- A’s win South Tahoe Babe Ruth championship, beat Angels 14-2 in winner-take-all title game
- Beach volleyball tourney to hit Zephyr Cove
- Review: What’s it like riding a LimeBike in South Lake Tahoe?
- Truckee-Tahoe business owners tackle housing shortage by becoming landlords
- South Lake Tahoe resident wins Tahoe Rim Trail Endurance Run 100 mile race
- Proposed Shoreline Plan could allow 138 new piers in Lake Tahoe
- Momentum picks up in fight against invasive plants in Tahoe Keys