Whittell Soccer | Short-handed Warriors hold on
September 26, 2013
Despite playing one-man down, Whittell hung on for a 3-2 win at North Tahoe on Tuesday.
The Warriors took a 2-1 lead in the 50th minute of the game, but lost a player to a double yellow card. Whittell was now down to 10 players with 30 minutes to go. The Warriors's 10 would need to hold off Lakers's 11, and it wasn't looking likely.
Whittell took a 1-0 lead in the first half. Bryce Bronken took a shot on goal that was deflected, but Mark Waite was there to follow up.
The Lakers answered with a goal to knot the score 1-1 before halftime rolled around.
Whittell regained its edge 10 minutes into the second half. Bronken sent a hard shot again off an assist from RJ Rupp, and this time it blasted past the Lakers' diving goalkeeper into the lower left corner of the box.
The goal gave the Warriors a 2-1 lead, and then they lost a player.
The Lakers took advantage if the numbers a few minutes later, tying the score once again.
But the Warriors' 10 still had some fight. With 10 minutes left in the game, Whittell defender Spencer Buchholz took an indirect kick from the midfield that went off the goalkeepers' hand into net.
"And then we held on to win," head coach Timothy Plummer said. "Aubrey (Fulton) made some good saves, and our defense made some good saves."
UP NEXT: Whittell is now 3-0 in league. The boys hosted Incline on Thursday and traveled to Quincy on Friday.
Trending In: Local Sports
- South Tahoe spring football undefeated in Excel Athletics prep
- Whittell, South Tahoe track teams to compete at NIAA state tournament
- Beach volleyball tourney to hit Zephyr Cove
- South Tahoe Futbol Club U-18 Hawks, U-12 Tough girls soccer teams deliver championships at Come Up For Air
- American Century Championship reveals 2016 lineup; celebrity golf tournament returns to Edgewood Tahoe in July