Whittell soccer | Warriors take back-to-back wins
October 20, 2013
Still happy with their 2-1 win over Division IA South Tahoe, the Warriors cruised to consecutive wins over Battle Mountain and Lovelock this past weekend.
Whittell downed Battle Mountain 10-0 at home Friday, and finished off the weekend with a 5-2 win over Lovelock Saturday. The Warriors have guaranteed themselves a postseason spot as they are now 15-1-1 overall and 10-1 in league.
Whittell 10, Battle Mountain 0
The girls carried a 9-0 lead into halftime Friday before bringing in the bench. Freshman Alison Copsy, who delivered both goals in the girls' South Tahoe win, led the offensive charge once again. Copsy netted four goals for the Warriors.
Senior Dannica Bunnett and freshman Gigi Stetler added two goals apiece, and Bunnett also delivered an assist.
Kenya Maltase and Sabrina Trachsel each recorded goals.
Senior Jenny Shepack was also a big part of the Battle Mountain success with three assists.
Lauren George, Gisselle Benitez and Trachsel also contributed assists.
Goalkeepers Brittany Boulet and Kendal Ferris shared the shutout.
Whittell 5, Lovelock 2
Saturday was a similar story. The Warriors had built a 5-0 lead by halftime some new girls got a look in the second half.
Maltase and Stetler led the offensive charge in the first half, each netting two goals. Copsy added one as well and the Warriors had built a comfortable 5-0 lead by halftime.
Shepack recorded two assists and Stetler one.
Again, Boulet and Ferris split time in goal to cement the win.
UP NEXT: The Warriors will host North Tahoe at 4 p.m. Tuesday.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local Sports
- American Century Championship reveals 2016 lineup; celebrity golf tournament returns to Edgewood Tahoe in July
- Beach battles: South Tahoe Beach Wrestling Championships return to Lakeview Commons for second edition, doubles in size
- Lake Tahoe CC women’s soccer reveals 2016 recruiting class, looks to build with talented, versatile group
- South Tahoe All-Stars swept at Babe Ruth 14-year-old regional tournament
- South Tahoe Futbol Club U-18 Hawks, U-12 Tough girls soccer teams deliver championships at Come Up For Air
- Smoke from Mariposa County fire continues to fill Tahoe Basin (video)
- Mariposa County fire in California threatens 1,500 structures near Yosemite
- Sierra homeowners are losing coverage because of surrounding brush, trees
- Vietnam vet retires from Tahoe Safeway after 46 years — and never missed a day of work
- Tahoe Keys Marina without running water as dispute over bills continues