Whittell softball prepares for season
February 26, 2014
With this weekend's impending snowstorm, most people are still thinking about winter sports, but Whittell softball coach Dave Galicia has spring on his mind.
The team's first game of the season isn't until March 14, but Galicia has been preparing since September. In the offseason, he attends coaching clinics and conventions to meet with other area and college coaches. Talking with higher-level coaches allows Galicia to learn what they're teaching to prepare his team for the next level of playing, he said.
Practices start March 1 and NIAA rules allow for only 11 practices leading up to the first game of the season, which means Galicia carefully scripts each one as not to waste any time.
"I want to prepare my team for every game," he said. "They need to be able to say 'coach, I played better today than yesterday.'"
Last year, the team went 19-14 overall and 8-5 in the Mount Rose division III league earning them a spot in the zone tournament for the fourth-straight season. After routinely playing schools with bigger attendance, the team will be moving to division IV for this season.
With the new league, Galicia doesn't know what to expect from the new competition, but thinks Smith Valley will be their biggest challenge.
"We don't shy away from tough competition," he said.
The team will be led by seniors Kendall Ferris, second base, and Gianna Miller, who Galicia calls a "good utility player." Other returning seniors include Liz Anderson, Jasmine Munn and Maggie Dean.
He's also expecting a lot of pressure on the returning players from a talented upcoming freshman class.
Games start with a tournament March 14-15 in Yerington, Nev.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local Sports
- South Tahoe All-Stars run table in Babe Ruth 14-year-old Nevada tournament, claim state championship
- Elevation Elite travel basketball program tips off in South Lake Tahoe
- Tahoe Training Camps brings high-level soccer to the region, locals hit the pitch during South Lake Tahoe camp
- Beach volleyball tourney to hit Zephyr Cove
- Brosch looks to set more school records at state meet
- Truckee-Tahoe business owners tackle housing shortage by becoming landlords
- Review: What’s it like riding a LimeBike in South Lake Tahoe?
- Momentum picks up in fight against invasive plants in Tahoe Keys
- State of the Lake Report on Lake Tahoe to be presented July 27
- Woodacre man dies in single-vehicle crash on Highway 88 near South Lake Tahoe