Whittell volleyball | Warriors take Round 2
October 8, 2013
The Whittell volleyball team got a taste of redemption against Smith Valley.
Smith Valley dominated Whittell when the two teams met earlier this season, but the Warriors evened the score Friday. Whittell stormed back from a two-game deficit to beat Smith Valley in five games 26-28, 22-25, 26-24, 26-18 and 15-13.
Zoe Bertz, Tori Jimenez and Hailey Elliott led the girls to the underdog comeback against No. 2 ranked Smith Valley.
"I don't think if it weren't for those three this week we would have been able to pull of Smith Valley," Whittell coach Kristi Moore said. "It's tough to come back and win the last three games. That doesn't happen very often. The girls proved to me that they are mentally stronger than when we started."
Bertz led the Warriors' charge with her best match this season.
"Zoe was all over the court," Moore said. "We played well together as a team, but Zoe was the one who carried it home."
Bertz delivered with the Warriors leading 14-13 in the final game. A pass came up that rolled off the net and setter Hailey Elliott somehow managed to pop it up. Bertz was right there to smack it down for the final point to cement Whittell's win.
"It was one of those things that you probably couldn't redo if you tried," Moore said. "It was amazing to watch. The girls played very well together."
CATCH UP: The Warriors beat Pyramid Lake at home Sept. 27 in two games of a double header.
Then the girls moved on to Sage Ridge where they won on the road 24-14, 25-23 and 25-20.
The girls are now 6-3 in league.
UP NEXT: The girls play at Sierra Lutheran on Thursday and then home against Coleville at 6 p.m. Tuesday.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local Sports
- Beach battles: South Tahoe Beach Wrestling Championships return to Lakeview Commons for second edition, doubles in size
- Beach volleyball tourney to hit Zephyr Cove
- Big BMX qualifier
- Los Angeles Jr. Kings hockey teams drop the puck for training camp in South Lake Tahoe
- Reno Aces baseball announces opening day roster, opens 2016 season Thursday at Greater Nevada Field
- Lake Tahoe kayaker recounts near-death experience in Upper Truckee River
- Stand up pedalboards making waves around Lake Tahoe
- Harrah’s, Harveys Lake Tahoe to charge for holiday, special event parking
- Revisiting Angora Fire 10 years after devastating blaze ignited in Lake Tahoe
- Edgewood Tahoe celebrates completion of $100M lodge