Whittell Volleyball | Whittell downs Coleville
Ryan Summerlin October 17, 2013
Tori Jimenez: 22 service points, 4 kills
Kelsey Kjer: 20 service points, 7 assists
Hailey Elliott: 24 assists, 15 service points
Zoe Bertz: 14 kills, 15 service points
The Warriors aren’t in the business of giving away free points.
“We’re not a free ball team,” said Whittell volleyball coach Kristi Moore. “We’re here to attack the ball.”
The plan is working. The Whittell volleyball team is righting its early-season losses and now owns a seven-game win streak. Most recently, it was a four-game win against Coleville, a team that destroyed the Warriors just last month.
“It was point-by-point,” Moore said of the Tuesday match, “but we fought.”
The biggest difference was conditioning. The Warriors are religious about conditioning and fewer free balls in the final games are a nice reward. The longer the game goes, the better Whittell looks.
“Our bodies are to the point where we can hold on a lot longer,” Moore said.
The win over Coleville pulls the Warriors up to 9-3 and knocks Coleville to 8-2 in league. Smith Valley also beat Virginia City on Tuesday, which means all teams in the Northern Division IV have at least one loss now.
Tori Jimenez, Kelsey Kjer, Zoe Bertz and Hailey Elliot led the Warriors attack Tuesday.
Jimenez delivered 22 service points and four kills.
Kjer added 20 service points and seven set-assists.
Elliott came away with a whopping 24 set-assists and 15 service points.
Bertz led the team with 14 kills and added 15 service points.
UP NEXT: The Warriors host Hawthorne at 11 a.m. Saturday. JV will play at 10 a.m.
Trending In: Local Sports
- South Tahoe girls soccer blanks Elko, Spring Creek, delivers first shutouts of season
- State champions: South Tahoe All-Stars beat Summerlin North, claim Little League Intermediate 50/70 Division Nevada crown
- South Tahoe football beats Lowry 44-6, stays healthy while winning third straight
- Lake Tahoe CC women’s soccer reveals 2016 recruiting class, looks to build with talented, versatile group
- Slow start costs Whittell football in 36-30 loss to Virginia City
- South Lake Tahoe Warm Room consequences (opinion)
- The Chateau at the Village in South Lake Tahoe sells for $42.5M
- Collin still committed to South Lake Tahoe council candidacy after fatal wreck
- Letter: Goodbye, old friend
- Tahoe Keys to apply for herbicide trial in effort to fight aquatic invasive species