Whittell rally falls short to Incline
May 1, 2014
Whittell softball's late-game comeback came up short Wednesday as the Lady Warriors fell to Incline 14-9.
Whittell went into the fifth inning down 8-3 when Liz Anderson doubled to center with two outs. Kendal Ferris scored to cut the lead to 8-4.
The Lady Highlanders scored five runs, four unearned, in the sixth off Lady Warriors pitcher Madison Idso. Whittell answered back with one as Dominique Ogilvie walked and crossed the plate on a few wild throws by Incline's defense.
Incline added one more in the seventh on an RBI ground out for a 14-5 score going into the bottom of the seventh.
Idso had a leadoff hit, stole second and made it to third on another base hit by Ferris. Idso ran home on a wild throw and was called safe on obstruction by the catcher. Anderson drew a walk before Jordan Becker grounded into a fielder's choice forcing Ferris out at third. Ogilvie drew another walk bringing up Maggie Dean who reached base on a throwing error scoring Anderson. Gianna Miller and Daria Sharon each had a single before Idso struck out to end the game at 14-9.
"I'm a little disappointed with the outcome because there's a little rivalry," said Whittell head coach Dave Galicia. "Errors were our issue and we gave them too many unearned runs. The pitchers were doing what they needed to, getting ground balls and pop-ups."
The Lady Warriors record sits at 5-7 in the league and 9-8 overall. The team travels to Pyramid Lake on Saturday for a doubleheader.
Trending In: Local Sports
- Tang sisters medal in state championships
- Elevation Elite travel basketball program tips off in South Lake Tahoe
- Junior Giants brings free baseball program to South Shore; registration opens March 16
- South Tahoe football player to attend University of San Diego
- United States Youth Volleyball League coming to South Lake Tahoe; eight-week summer season starts June 21
- Will big winter impact water temperature for swimmers in Lake Tahoe?
- Boaters leaving Lake Tahoe must remove drain plug
- Locals’ guide to Memorial Day in Tahoe: A light-hearted take on escaping the hustle and bustle
- South Lake Brewing Company celebrates grand opening (photos)
- Motorist hurt after going over side of Kingsbury Grade