Whittell rally falls short to Incline
May 1, 2014
Whittell softball’s late-game comeback came up short Wednesday as the Lady Warriors fell to Incline 14-9.
Whittell went into the fifth inning down 8-3 when Liz Anderson doubled to center with two outs. Kendal Ferris scored to cut the lead to 8-4.
The Lady Highlanders scored five runs, four unearned, in the sixth off Lady Warriors pitcher Madison Idso. Whittell answered back with one as Dominique Ogilvie walked and crossed the plate on a few wild throws by Incline’s defense.
Incline added one more in the seventh on an RBI ground out for a 14-5 score going into the bottom of the seventh.
Idso had a leadoff hit, stole second and made it to third on another base hit by Ferris. Idso ran home on a wild throw and was called safe on obstruction by the catcher. Anderson drew a walk before Jordan Becker grounded into a fielder’s choice forcing Ferris out at third. Ogilvie drew another walk bringing up Maggie Dean who reached base on a throwing error scoring Anderson. Gianna Miller and Daria Sharon each had a single before Idso struck out to end the game at 14-9.
“I’m a little disappointed with the outcome because there’s a little rivalry,” said Whittell head coach Dave Galicia. “Errors were our issue and we gave them too many unearned runs. The pitchers were doing what they needed to, getting ground balls and pop-ups.”
The Lady Warriors record sits at 5-7 in the league and 9-8 overall. The team travels to Pyramid Lake on Saturday for a doubleheader.
Trending In: Local Sports
- South Tahoe football flattens Fernley 36-8 in home opener, Galli shines in first varsity start
- Spring ball: South Lake Tahoe youth team competes in Excel Athletics tackle football league
- State champions: South Tahoe All-Stars beat Summerlin North, claim Little League Intermediate 50/70 Division Nevada crown
- Lake Tahoe CC men’s soccer aims to build with quality in first recruiting class under Arbelaez
- South Tahoe volleyball aims for smooth transition under new head coach Racca