Long-awaited Gilbert-Brinkley bout to happen
October 6, 2008
RENO – If good things come to those who wait, then Northern Nevada boxing fans should be in for one dynamite time.
Terry Lane, chief executive officer of Let’s Get It On Promotions, said Monday that his fighter, Yerington super middleweight Jesse Brinkley, and Reno’s Joey Gilbert will finally settle their differences in the ring.
Lane said matchmaker Chris Middendorf had assured him that Gilbert had signed to fight Brinkley and that the bout would be held in Reno, most likely in late January. Lane said Let’s Get It On is aggressively negotiating with several venues for the much-anticipated meeting, which he anticipates will be televised.
“In my time working in this business in Reno, I’ve heard people say this fight would never happen,” Lane said. “I’ve wanted this fight to happen going back before (both boxers appeared in 2004 on the NBC reality boxing show) ‘The Contender.’ Now it looks like it’s coming to fruition. I’m very excited.”
Lane is not alone in his enthusiasm. The fight between the 31-year-old Brinkley and the 32-year-old Gilbert is the most eagerly awaited bout between two local fighters in Northern Nevada history.
According to Lane, both Brinkley and Gilbert will have one bout apiece before meeting in a 12-round contest for Brinkley’s WBC-affiliated United States National Boxing Championship (USNBC) super middleweight belt.
Recommended Stories For You
Lane said Brinkley, 31-5 with 21 knockouts, has left for training camp in Providence, R.I., where he will prepare for an eight-round bout against an opponent to be named. Lane said the bout would take place on Dec. 13 in Las Vegas.
He said Gilbert, 15-1 (11) with 1 no-contest, would return to action sometime this month in a six-round contest, also against an opponent and at venue to be named.
Gilbert is returning from a one-year suspension after testing positive for one metabolite of the steroid Stanazolol following his one-round technical knockout of Charles Howe, of Grelton, Ohio, Sept. 21, 2007, at the Grand Sierra Resort, in Reno.
The Nevada State Athletic Commission later changed the TKO to a no-contest. Gilbert recently paid a $10,000 fine to the commission. He was once ranked as high as No. 4 by the WBO, but was stripped of his USNBC and WBO-affiliated North American Boxing Organization middleweight belts during his suspension.
Gilbert, who according to the NSAC passed a random drug test nearly a month ago, called out Brinkley on Aug. 14. Brinkley had been agitating for a fight with Gilbert since 2005 and immediately accepted the challenge.
Brinkley, who is currently ranked No. 13 by the IBF, has won his last five fights, including four by knockout, and is coming off a 12-round unanimous decision over Jason Naugler, of Halifax, Nova Scotia, on June 13. Brinkley was the first fighter to ever knock down the tough Canadian, flooring him with less than 10 seconds left in the final round.
According to the commission, Gilbert will be re-licensed to fight in Nevada after he submits some medical reports and another clean urine sample. In the meantime, since he has already served his suspension and paid his fine, Gilbert is allowed to fight in another state.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- Kirkwood Mountain Resort opening today
- Lake Tahoe Community College Coyotes fall to Santa Rosa in NorCal quarterfinals
- Die-hard skiers and riders turn out for opening day at Kirkwood Mountain (videos)
- SnowSport Safety Foundation releases safety report card; California ski industry dismisses report
- New attractions set stage for 2017-18 winter at Tahoe resorts
- Carousel Estate on Lake Tahoe West Shore on market for $29.5 million (video)
- New mountain community under construction near Lake Tahoe
- Changes to South Lake Tahoe vacation home rental rules finalized
- J-1 visa program helps Lake Tahoe South Shore businesses
- Where to go in Tahoe if you don’t want to cook a Thanksgiving meal