LTCC Coyote girls set record, blast defending champs
September 29, 2017
Six different players scored and eight recorded assists Tuesday as the Lake Tahoe Community College Coyote women's soccer team blasted Lassen 9-0 in the Golden Valley Conference opener for both teams in Susanville.
The nine goals against the two-time defending league champion Cougars set an LTCC program-record for number of goals scored in a single game.
Reno High graduate Graciela Palencia and South Tahoe graduates Kenya Maltase and Brooke King each scored two goals apiece, while Melanie Ara, of Las Vegas Arbor View, scored her first collegiate goal and Truckee High grad Zareli Villa scored for the second straight game.
South Tahoe grad Emma Dayberry added two assists, while Ara, Palencia and Villa also had assists.
"It was obviously nice to score as many goals as we did," said third-year coach Jeremy Evans. "Our offense has been sputtering at times this season. Not from lack of talent, but more just from a lack of time together and consistency. I have to remind myself sometimes that we have 17 freshmen and eight new starters this year, so perhaps our chemistry is finally starting to develop. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come."
Lake Tahoe (5-2-3 overall, 1-0 GVC) next hosts Butte College at 4 p.m. Friday.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- Whittell football scores 104 in slugfest with Mineral County
- STMS 7th grade boys and girls cross country teams win league championships
- South Tahoe doubles team wins 3A Northern Region title
- Lake Tahoe Community College women, men soccer teams both in national poll
- Tahoe MedWAR Challenge creating real life wilderness survival skills
- Douglas County jury finds man innocent in alleged sexual assault at Lake Tahoe
- Ask Tessie: How do I meet a responsible man in Tahoe?
- Gardnerville man killed in head-on collision near Red Lake
- The latest on California wildfires: Napa Valley school remain closed until Monday
- Up in smoke: Wildfires scorch California pot crop at harvest