Personal bests highlight last track meet
Ryan Summerlin May 9, 2013
Nevada Union Invitational Results
* Denotes a personal best.
9. *Jason Rogers 11.58 South Tahoe
33. *Kyle Miller 12.36 South Tahoe
38. Max Primo 12.52 Whittell
40. Tylor Nicholson 12.81 South Tahoe
42. Rodney Aguirre-Rodriguez 13.22 Whittell
8. *Jason Rogers 23.40 South Tahoe
37. *Justin McKenrick 25.67 South Tahoe
39. *Max Primo 26.09 Whittell
43. Tylor Nicholson 27.65 South Tahoe
46. Alan Manzano 36.22 Whittell
14. *David Cassaday 55.02 South Tahoe
34. Chase Stalter 61.63 South Tahoe
22. Connor Henderson 2:07.46 South Tahoe
29. *Harley Norton 2:14.37 South Tahoe
40. *Gabriel Aguilar 2:32.11 Whittell
41. Rudy Mata 2:36.13 Whittell
9. *Connor Henderson 4:40.39 South Tahoe
14. *Mark Waite 4:42.59a Whittell
26. *Harley Norton 4:56.82 South Tahoe
30. *Tyler Myers 5:00.01 South Tahoe
40. Josh Welch 5:15.02 Whittell
50. Ross Kovac 5:49.24 South Tahoe
54. Rudy Mata 6:00.20 Whittell
11. Connor Henderson 10:29.78 South Tahoe
13. *Mark Waite 10:37.42 Whittell
25. *Josh Welch 11:02.46 Whittell
32. Dylan Maxwell 11:25.06a South Tahoe
13. *Carson Alexander 19.39 South Tahoe
18. Sean Noyes 22.06 Whittell
17. *Carson Alexander 48.33 South Tahoe
25. Sean Noyes 55.40 Whittell
8. 3:42.24 South Tahoe
Shot put – 12 pounds
19. *Kris Hurwitz 37-09.25 South Tahoe
27. *Rafa Gutierrez 35-02.00 South Tahoe
35. Patrick Stimac 32-09.25 South Tahoe
40. *Justin McKenrick 32-00.00 South Tahoe
Discus - 1.6kg
27. Blair Binns 91-01 South Tahoe
29. *Patrick Stimac 87-03 South Tahoe
30. Rafa Gutierrez 85-10 South Tahoe
32. Justin McKenrick 83-02 South Tahoe
High jump - Varsity - Finals
5. *Jason Rogers 5-10.00 South Tahoe
18. *Carson Alexander 5-02.00 South Tahoe
22. Max Primo 16-04.00 Whittell
26. *Kyle Miller 15-03.00 South Tahoe
29. *Goody Walowit 13-09.00 South Tahoe
31. *Alan Manzano 9-06.00 Whittell
22. Mason Cain 31-00.00 South Tahoe
15. Jennifer Burks 13.56 South Tahoe
24. *Kerry Norton 13.80 South Tahoe
36. Brooke King 14.38 South Tahoe
43. Gisselle Benitez 15.62 Whittell
10. *Sierra Forvilly 27.40 Whittell
31. Brooke King 30.11 South Tahoe
32. *Natassha Johnson 30.22 South Tahoe
35. Gisselle Benitez 31.96 Whittell
36. Iran Manzano 32.64 Whittell
3. Sierra Forvilly 61.57 Whittell
15. Dianna Gomez 65.70 South Tahoe
26. *Corynn Bricker 71.33 South Tahoe
31 *Iran Manzano 73.62 Whittell
6. *Karley Martinez 2:30.09 South Tahoe
15. *Cara Filce 2:40.37 South Tahoe
17. *Gabriela Vargas 2:42.06 South Tahoe
7. *Karley Martinez 5:29.71 South Tahoe
9. *Emily Treat 5:42.57 South Tahoe
18. *Gabriela Vargas 6:03.19 South Tahoe
32. *Christy Walowit 6:58.37 South Tahoe
9. *Emily Treat 12:54.44 South Tahoe
10. *Cara Filce 12:55.39 South Tahoe
17. Bridget Moffat 14:57.26 South Tahoe
19. *Christy Walowit 16:05.88 South Tahoe
3. *Sierra Forvilly 16.05 Whittell
14. *Jennifer Burks 17.97 South Tahoe
23. Grace Rosburg 20.51 South Tahoe
1. *Sierra Forvilly 47.18 Whittell
4. *Jennifer Burks 50.08 South Tahoe
15. Brooke King 55.86 South Tahoe
8. *53.40 South Tahoe
7. *4:45.02 South Tahoe
Shot put - 4kg
37. Gisselle Benitez 21-10.00 Whittell
38. London Gustofson 21-04.50 South Tahoe
39. Christy Walowit 20-09.00 South Tahoe
Discus - 1kg
33. London Gustofson 55-02 South Tahoe
13. *Janelle Spandau 4-06.00 South Tahoe
13. *Corynn Bricker 4-06.00 South Tahoe
19. *Meagan Thomson 12-07.00 South Tahoe
26. *Natassha Johnson 11-09.75 South Tahoe
31. Iran Manzano 10-07.00 Whittell
The pressure was off for the final regular season track meet.
Most regional qualifying times were already in the bag, and the competition wasn’t the usual group of Nevada league schools that South Tahoe and Whittell see every weekend.
It was a California meet. Something different, and the South Shore track teams came out to have some fun.
Fun turned into 49 personal records, and two new Whittell school records on Saturday. Everything came together for the South Tahoe and Whittell track teams at the Nevada Union Invitational in Grass Valley, Calif.
Let’s start with Whittell’s Sierra Forvilly, who broke two school records in the girls 100-meter and 300-meter hurdles. She won first in the 300-meter hurdle, third in the 100-meter hurdle and 400 and took 10th in the 200. She now has 27 podium finishes this season, with half of those as first-place finishes. She is ranked No. 1 in Nevada in the 100 and 300-meter hurdles among Division III schools.
South Tahoe’s Karley Martinez also came through with two personal bests in the 800 and one mile. Since the beginning of the season Martinez has blasted 6 seconds off her 800 and a whooping 41 seconds off her one-mile time, dropping to 5:29. Martinez is now ranked sixth in Nevada in the one-mile.
When the phrase personal best comes up, of course South Tahoe’s Connor Henderson and Jason Rogers’ names will be there, along with a speedy Whittell junior named Mark Waite.
Henderson, the Vikings’ long-distance ace, turned in a personal best in the one-mile for ninth with a time of 4:40. He also claimed 11 in the two-mile at 10:37. Henderson is ranked fourth in the one mile and two-mile among Division I-A Nevada runners.
“Connor ran against some amazing competition in that meet,” Hurwitz said.
Waite was 2 seconds behind him with a personal best mile (4:42) and a person best two-mile (10:37). Waite is ranked second in the one mile and third in the two-mile among Division III Nevada runners.
Jason Rogers turned in three personal bests in the 100, the 200 and the high jump for fifth place.
“He hit 5-10 in the high jump and if he can hit 6 feet at regionals he will likely go to state,” Hurwitz said. “It’s hard to learn this type of technique as a senior, and he’s really come a long way. If he can put it all together he’s definitely got a shot.”
South Tahoe’s Emily Treat and Cara Filce also dropped their usual standout performances. Both muscled there way to personal bests.
Treat took ninth in both the one-mile and two-mile. She has now clipped nearly a minute off her mile time (5:42) since the beginning of the season and more than one and a half minutes off her two-mile time (12:54).
Filce took 10th in the two-mile (12:55), and 15th in the 800, both with personal bests. She has dropped more than a full minute off her two mile.
Fellow South Tahoe girls, Kerry Norton, Natassha Johnson, Corynn Bricker, Gabriela Vargas, Christy Walowit, Jennifer Burks, Janelle Spandau and Meagan Thomson also turned in personal best times.
Whittell’s Iran Manzano dropped 3 seconds of her personal best in the 400 with a time of 73.62.
Whittell’s Josh Welch took a sizzling 15 seconds off of his best time in the two-mile.
Fellow Whittell boys, Max Primo, Gabriel Aguilar and thrower Alan Manzano also set new personal bests.
Among South Tahoe’s boys, Kyle Miller, Justin McKenrick, Harley Norton, Tyler Myers, Carson Alexander, Kris Hurwitz, Rafa Gutierrez, Patrick Stimac and Goody Walowit also all posted personal bests.
UP NEXT: South Tahoe and Whittell will compete in regionals at Yerington this weekend.
Trending In: Sports
- Lake Tahoe Marathon returns to South Shore for 21st year, brings fun to running
- South Tahoe girls soccer blanks Elko, Spring Creek, delivers first shutouts of season
- South Tahoe football beats Lowry 44-6, stays healthy while winning third straight
- Slow start costs Whittell football in 36-30 loss to Virginia City
- Sports Roundup: Lake Tahoe CC women’s soccer wins non-conference finale, South Tahoe volleyball extends streak, Vikings boys soccer rallies for tie
- South Lake Tahoe Warm Room consequences (opinion)
- The Chateau at the Village in South Lake Tahoe sells for $42.5M
- Collin still committed to South Lake Tahoe council candidacy after fatal wreck
- Letter: Goodbye, old friend
- Tahoe Keys to apply for herbicide trial in effort to fight aquatic invasive species