Reno 5k run to benefit homeless
April 15, 2014
A 5k run will take place Saturday to raise money and awareness for the homeless community in Reno.
The Race of Grace starts on the Knowledge Center lawn at the University of Nevada, Reno and makes a loop around campus ending back at the start.
Lauren Andrew, a Whittell High School graduate in her senior year at Nevada, is organizing the race to benefit Faces of Grace, a non-profit organization that aims to end homelessness in Reno and also provides food, clothing and hygiene supplies to the homeless. After working with the organization, Andrew needed an internship to graduate and wanted to do something to give back.
"I really wanted to do something to raise money for homeless and also help people who can give back to see more of the issue," Andrew said. "The two-fold is to help homeless and generate more awareness."
The race starts at 10 a.m. with registration around 9. Each participant pays a $15 entrance fee and can register online or the day of the race.
More information can be found on the website, http://www.raceofgrace5k.weebly.com.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- STMS 7th grade boys and girls cross country teams win league championships
- South Tahoe doubles team wins 3A Northern Region title
- Whittell football scores 104 in slugfest with Mineral County
- South Tahoe FC Fury 07 wins U11 tourney in Reno
- Lake Tahoe Community College women, men soccer teams both in national poll
- Douglas County jury finds man innocent in alleged sexual assault at Lake Tahoe
- Gardnerville man killed in head-on collision near Red Lake
- Lake Tahoe weather: Chance of rain Thursday night, snow Friday morning
- Up in smoke: Wildfires scorch California pot crop at harvest
- Seamstress creates custom interior goods for Lake Tahoe homes