Run to keep STMS community track maintained
Ryan Summerlin June 19, 2014
Track Renovations for Community and Kids is holding the Tahoe Legends Run Saturday.
TR4CK is an organization of five people whose goal is to maintain the community track at South Tahoe Middle School.
“We’re working on keep the track viable because it’s important to our community,” said Karin Holmes, founder of TR4CK and physical education teacher at STMS.
The Tahoe Legends Run is the only fundraising event of the year and 100 percent of the money raised goes into maintaining the track.
Registration is $30 from 7:30 to 7:45 a.m. at Lake Tahoe Community College. The race begins at 8 a.m. beginning at the college and taking runners along Trout Creek, out onto the bike path and finishing at the track at the middle school. Runners have the option of a 5K or 10K route.
“It’s a very low-key, fun event,” Holmes said.
The track was originally built on Echo Summit as the training site for the 1968 Olympics and, following the Olympic Trials, was moved down to the middle school. In 2007, a new track was put in to replace the aging one.
T-shirts and goodies will be handed out at the end of the race as well as medals donated by a local artist. Runners of all ages are encouraged to participate.
Trending In: Sports
- South Tahoe girls soccer blanks Elko, Spring Creek, delivers first shutouts of season
- South Tahoe football beats Lowry 44-6, stays healthy while winning third straight
- Take a hike: A scenic jaunt to Lake Margaret is well worth the work (watch the video)
- Slow start costs Whittell football in 36-30 loss to Virginia City
- Sports Roundup: Lake Tahoe CC women’s soccer wins non-conference finale, South Tahoe volleyball extends streak, Vikings boys soccer rallies for tie
- South Lake Tahoe Warm Room consequences (opinion)
- Collin still committed to South Lake Tahoe council candidacy after fatal wreck
- The Chateau at the Village in South Lake Tahoe sells for $42.5M
- Letter: BEAR League board member says, ‘We are not making this up’
- Tahoe Keys to apply for herbicide trial in effort to fight aquatic invasive species