Rypien wins Friday afternoon’s Closest-to-the-Pin-Challenge
July 22, 2014
Not only did Mark Rypien win the overall American Century Championship this past weekend, he also won the Closest-to-the-Pin-Challenge Friday afternoon.
The former NFL Pro-Bowl quarterback teed off from hole 17 putting his ball just 7 feet from the pin to win the $5,000 donation for The Tahoe Fund from the Korbel Toast Life® Foundation.
Friday Night Light’s actor Lucas Black landed his ball 8-feet, 5-inches from the pin putting him in second place. Former World Series MVP Bret Saberhagen came in third, hitting his ball 21-feet, 5-inches away.
“We are honored to be able to once again offer an exciting and fun way to support a local charity like The Tahoe Fund as well as bring together some of the greatest athletes and entertainers in the industry for the Closest-the-the Pin Challenge,” said Gary Heck, owner and president of Korbel Champagne Cellars.
Comedian Bill Engvall kept the atmosphere friendly offering jokes as the competitors teed off.
NASCAR driver Danny Hamlin was the first to try his shot and his ball landed just 22 feet from the pin.
Chicago Bears Kicker Robbie Gould, Denver Broncos Punter Britton Colquitt and Green Bay Packers Linebacker A.J. Hawk all had impressive hits, but didn’t come close enough to contend.
Trending In: Sports
- Queen of the halfpipe: South Lake Tahoe native Maddie Bowman dominates the competition on skis — and loves her craft
- Whittell boys b-ball looks to continue the culture, defend state championship in 2016-17 season
- South Tahoe boys b-ball aims to contend for league title in 2016-17 season behind talent and experience
- Biking boost: South Lake Tahoe awarded silver designation as Bicycle Friendly Community, trending in positive direction
- Warm up, cool down: Add a routine before and after a day on the mountain for a long, healthy season in the snow
- ‘Ninja road stars’ piercing tires in South Lake Tahoe
- Lake Tahoe food tampering suspect caught shoplifting dog food at Raley’s last summer
- Police seeking assistance with hit and run outside Harveys Lake Tahoe
- Stay ‘bear aware’ during winter in the Lake Tahoe region
- Police seeking suspect in purse thefts at Stateline casinos