Rypien wins Friday afternoon’s Closest-to-the-Pin-Challenge
July 22, 2014
Not only did Mark Rypien win the overall American Century Championship this past weekend, he also won the Closest-to-the-Pin-Challenge Friday afternoon.
The former NFL Pro-Bowl quarterback teed off from hole 17 putting his ball just 7 feet from the pin to win the $5,000 donation for The Tahoe Fund from the Korbel Toast Life® Foundation.
Friday Night Light's actor Lucas Black landed his ball 8-feet, 5-inches from the pin putting him in second place. Former World Series MVP Bret Saberhagen came in third, hitting his ball 21-feet, 5-inches away.
"We are honored to be able to once again offer an exciting and fun way to support a local charity like The Tahoe Fund as well as bring together some of the greatest athletes and entertainers in the industry for the Closest-the-the Pin Challenge," said Gary Heck, owner and president of Korbel Champagne Cellars.
Comedian Bill Engvall kept the atmosphere friendly offering jokes as the competitors teed off.
NASCAR driver Danny Hamlin was the first to try his shot and his ball landed just 22 feet from the pin.
Chicago Bears Kicker Robbie Gould, Denver Broncos Punter Britton Colquitt and Green Bay Packers Linebacker A.J. Hawk all had impressive hits, but didn't come close enough to contend.
Trending In: Sports
- Lake Tahoe ascends as rock climbing destination
- Which Lake Tahoe golf courses are open for play?
- South Tahoe football player to attend University of San Diego
- Hike around Lake Tahoe: Most backcountry trails still covered with ‘a lot of snow’
- Whittell, South Tahoe track teams to compete at NIAA state tournament
- Tahoe crime recap: Scissor-wielding transient man arrested after hurling profanity, threats
- Suggestions for making the most of Memorial Day weekend at Lake Tahoe
- Lake Tahoe water board orders further study, cleanup of contaminated groundwater
- UPDATE: Police say stolen tractor-trailer crashed into famed brothel near Carson City
- Locals’ guide to Memorial Day in Tahoe: A light-hearted take on escaping the hustle and bustle