Soccer teams have good showing
March 11, 2014
Two South Tahoe Futbol Club (STFC) girls soccer teams fared well last weekend at the Bay Area’s Northern California Spring Showcase, hosted by Redwood City’s Juventus Soccer Club.
STFC’s Alliance Under-17 team won the Platinum division with a 4-0 record, not allowing a goal in its matches. The team, comprised of players from South Tahoe, Whittell, Douglas, Carson and Galena high schools, is led by Lake Tahoe Community College women’s soccer coach Chris DeLeon and South Tahoe High School coach Jeremy Evans.
STFC’s Hawks Under-15 team won the tournament’s Gold division following a 1-0 victory over the Santa Cruz Breakers in the championship game on Sunday. The Hawks, who outscored their opponents 8-3, went undefeated in three pool-play games before advancing to Sunday’s finals. The team is comprised mostly of South Tahoe High players but also is represented by Whittell, Douglas and Carson high schools. The team is coached by Mark Salmon, head JV coach at South Tahoe High School, assisted by Sarah Muskopf.
Trending In: Sports
- South Tahoe wrestling enters 2016-17 season full of confidence, led by defending state champion Herrera
- South Tahoe boys b-ball runs past Fernley 72-53, wins 3A Northern League debut
- Sports Roundup: South Tahoe, Whittell basketball teams hit the court for preseason tournaments
- South Tahoe boys b-ball aims to contend for league title in 2016-17 season behind talent and experience
- Back on track: Tahoe native, U.S. Ski Team racer Lila Lapanja returning to form after hiatus from the hill