South Tahoe cross country races at Clovis, Bronco invitationals in preparation for 3A Northern regionals
October 18, 2016
FRESNO, Calif. — The South Tahoe cross country team took on quality competition at the 38th Asics Clovis Invitational on Saturday, Oct. 8. Juniors David Holmes and Ally Sullivan led the Vikings in the event held on a hilly 5,000-meter course at Woodward Park.
Sullivan was the only varsity runner for the South Tahoe girls team on a calm day with temperatures in the mid-80s. She took 58th in a field of 165 runners, running a 21:40.7 while still building from injury and battling a cold leading up to the event.
In the Division 4 boys varsity race, the Vikings fielded a group of six runners. Holmes produced South Tahoe's top time, finishing 85th with a mark of 18:16.4.
"David continues to get stronger with each race, and once we begin adding speed workouts to the training, he should be ready to fly at regionals," Vikings boys coach Mark Hoefer said.
Senior Freeman George delivered the Vikings' next-best time in the varsity race, running a 19:01.5 to place 127th. Sophomore Christopher Hoefer raced in the Frosh-Soph event and also produced a strong time, running an 18:17.7 to finish 31st.
"It was great to see that Christopher was less than two seconds behind David's time even though they ran in separate races," Mark Hoefer said. "Those two will be feeding off each other for the rest of the season, and are the strongest candidates for state."
VIKINGS TUNE UP FOR POSTSEASON AT BRONCO INVITATIONAL
South Tahoe took to the course for its final event prior to the postseason at the Hoka One One Bronco Cross Country Invitational on Saturday, Oct. 15. The Vikings raced on the wet, muddy 5k course at Willow Hill Reservoir Community Park in Folsom, California.
The Vikings competed in the Small School varsity races at the invitational. Buccholz (21st, 20:31.91) and Holmes (85th, 18:53.52) were South Tahoe's top finishers in its regular season finale.
STHS now shifts it focus to the regional and state meets. The 3A Northern Region meet is scheduled for Oct. 28, in Sparks, Nevada, with the Class 3A State meet Nov. 5 in North Las Vegas, Nevada.
Trending In: Sports
- Which Lake Tahoe golf courses are open for play?
- South Tahoe softball ends season at NIAA 3A regional tournament
- Hike around Lake Tahoe: Most backcountry trails still covered with ‘a lot of snow’
- Whittell, South Tahoe track teams to compete at NIAA state tournament
- Lake Tahoe CC men’s soccer rides fast start past Butte 5-0, moves atop Golden Valley Conference
- Tahoe Chamber CEO resigns after three months
- Reforestation begins after Emerald Fire; cause of burn released
- ‘The epitome of Tahoe’ — family, friends to remember man killed in vehicle-vs-bicycle crash
- Elevation Eats: A ‘feast for the senses’ at MoonHouse Brewhouse
- Lake Tahoe gears up for epic wildflower season