South Tahoe JV baseball takes two from Truckee, wins fifth straight
Ryan Summerlin April 8, 2014
On Saturday, South Tahoe’s JV baseball team won both games of a doubleheader against Truckee extending its winning streak to five games.
In the first game, the Vikings saw themselves down 6-2, but in the bottom of the fifth inning they rallied for six runs and held on for the 8-6 win.
“I was really proud how the boys overcame the adversity and won the game,” said head coach Kevin Higgins.
Moises Cuevas pitched a complete game for the win and struck out nine batters while walking four.
Cameron McCarthy went 2-for-3 with a double and an RBI. Logan Brewer went 2-for-4 with a double and two RBIs.
In the second game, Logan Brewer gave up only two hits in seven innings for an 11-1 Vikings win.
“The game really showed how far Brewer has come on the mound,” Higgings said. “He never faced more than four batters in an inning.”
Moises Cuevas went 2-for-2 with a walk, 2 RBIs, and three runs. Evan Brewer went 2-for-3 with two RBI and Caleb Russell went 2-for-4 with one RBI.
On Friday, South Tahoe travels to Winnemucca, Nev. for a three game series against Lowry. With this weeks spring break, the team will be missing some starting players.
“It’s going to be an opportunity for some guys to step up,” Higgins said.
The wins improved the Vikings record to 5-3 in the league and 6-6 overall.
Trending In: Sports
- South Tahoe girls soccer blanks Elko, Spring Creek, delivers first shutouts of season
- Take a hike: A scenic jaunt to Lake Margaret is well worth the work (watch the video)
- South Tahoe football beats Lowry 44-6, stays healthy while winning third straight
- Sports Roundup: Lake Tahoe CC women’s soccer wins non-conference finale, South Tahoe volleyball extends streak, Vikings boys soccer rallies for tie
- Slow start costs Whittell football in 36-30 loss to Virginia City
- Collin still committed to South Lake Tahoe council candidacy after fatal wreck
- Letter: BEAR League board member says, ‘We are not making this up’
- Tahoe Keys to apply for herbicide trial in effort to fight aquatic invasive species
- My view: Nevada vs. California mentality undermines community (opinion)
- Membership-based airline expands service to and from Truckee Tahoe Airport