South Tahoe MS cross country wraps up season at Tah-Neva Championships, seventh grade girls place 1st
October 18, 2016
STATELINE — The South Tahoe Middle school cross country team concluded its season at the Tah-Neva League Championships last Thursday, Oct. 13. Strong finishes from the Timberwolves’ seventh grade teams highlighted their season finale on the course at Kahle Community Center.
South Tahoe’s seventh grade girls team took first place in a field of 11 teams on the 2.13-mile course. Kiana Buchholz was the top runner for STMS, placing fifth overall with a time of 16:09.
Mackenzie Nealis finished just behind Buchholz in sixth place by running a 16:38. Tinley Sweeney (ninth) and Lauren Romsos (10th) rounded out the top 10 while Evelyn Bennett took 12th and Corrine Goldberg placed 14th.
The Timberwolves’ seventh grade boys finished second among 12 schools, led by Ben Miller. Miller took fifth with a time of 14:28, 22 seconds off the course record.
Max Menke was South Tahoe’s next-best runner, placing 11th by running a 14:40 despite losing his shoe at the start of the race. Matteus Sokulski in 28th, True Neary in 29th and Cameron Steinmetz in 32nd rounded out the Timberwolves’ contingent.
South Tahoe’s eighth grade teams showed consistency at the championships on the 2.63-mile course. Myliana Blanchard finished 10th to lead the lead the girls with a time of 21:43, while Elisa Roberts took 28th and Pearl Yanez placed 31st.
In the boys’ race, Leyton Sweeney was South Tahoe’s top finisher — he placed 23rd out of 75 runners with a time of 19:31. Sweeney was followed by Khimana Knimikaua in 27th, Kobe Sitchon in 32nd, Miles Hamburg in 33rd, Ivan Keysernorris in 36th and Kasey Mora in 37th.
Complete results from the Tah-Neva Championships are online at http://www.athletic.net.
Trending In: Sports
- Biking boost: South Lake Tahoe awarded silver designation as Bicycle Friendly Community, trending in positive direction
- On the rebound: South Tahoe girls b-ball looks to bounce back in 2016-17 season
- Mac the Naw: Still plenty of options for late-season fishing, including Lake Tahoe
- Queen of the halfpipe: South Lake Tahoe native Maddie Bowman dominates the competition on skis — and loves her craft
- Sierra-at-Tahoe Resort expands learning terrain, revamps menu, bids water bottles farewell for 2016-17 season
- ‘Ninja road stars’ piercing tires in South Lake Tahoe
- Lake Tahoe supporters of Standing Rock host benefit concert; Washoe elders to speak
- Police seeking assistance with hit and run outside Harveys Lake Tahoe
- Stay ‘bear aware’ during winter in the Lake Tahoe region
- Lake Tahoe food tampering suspect caught shoplifting dog food at Raley’s last summer