Sports Roundup: South Tahoe Pop Warner junior varsity completes undefeated regular season, Vikings boys soccer draws, Tahoe Icemen win home series, hole-in-one at Lake Tahoe GC
October 18, 2016
SOUTH TAHOE POP WARNER JV FOOTBALL COMPLETES UNDEFEATED REGULAR SEASON
RENO, Nev. — The South Tahoe Pop Warner junior varsity football team finished its regular season with a perfect record. The Vikings beat the Reno Grizzlies 10-0 on Saturday, Oct. 15, at Bishop Manogue High, battling rainy and windy conditions to notch a fifth straight victory.
South Tahoe (5-0) rode a stellar defensive performance in its regular season finale. The Vikings open the playoffs at home Saturday, Oct. 22, against the Reno Miners at Viking Stadium — kickoff is scheduled for 4 p.m.
SOUTH TAHOE BOYS SOCCER TIES FERNLEY 1-1 IN NON-LEAGUE MATCH
SOUTH LAKE TAHOE — The South Tahoe boys soccer team got a result outside of league play at home Monday, Oct. 17. The Vikings tied Fernley 1-1 in a non-league match at South Tahoe Middle School, ending a two-game losing streak in the process.
South Tahoe (3-9-2) got its goal from freshman Nick Sanchez on Monday against the Vaqueros, who are playing in Class 2A this season. Vikings coach Eder Vazquez said the team used the match to experiment with new players in different spots on the field.
The Vikings return to action Wednesday, Oct. 19, at Truckee. Kickoff is scheduled for 4 p.m.
TAHOE ICEMEN WIN HOME SERIES AGAINST BELLINGHAM
SOUTH LAKE TAHOE — The Tahoe Icemen notched their first series victory of the 2016-17 season with a fast start against the Bellingham Blaze last weekend, Oct. 14-16. The Icemen took the first two games of the three-game WSHL Northwest Division set at South Lake Tahoe Ice Arena, winning 6-2 on Friday and 6-3 on Saturday.
Forward Ivan Radetskyi had a big series for Tahoe, finishing with six goals and seven assists — including a hat trick Saturday. Forward Reed Lequerica had three goals in the series, while forwards Nick Davidow (two assists), Matt Psaras (one assist), and Justin Poirer added two goals apiece.
Tahoe (3-5) wraps up its 12-game homestand with a series against the Whitefish Wolverines this weekend, Oct. 21-23, at SLT Ice Arena. Friday and Saturday’s games start at 7 p.m. with Sunday’s series finale scheduled for 2:30 p.m.
WHITTELL VOLLEYBALL FALLS IN FOUR SETS AT MINERAL COUNTY
HAWTHORNE, Nev. — The Whittell volleyball team fell in a four-set league match at Mineral County on Friday, Oct. 15. The defeat dropped the Warriors to 2-12 overall and 1-5 in 1A West League play.
Whittell returned to action Tuesday, Oct. 18, at Virginia City. The Warriors host Excel Christian on Friday, Oct. 21 — first serve is scheduled for 4 p.m.
FRANCIS HITS HOLE-IN-ONE AT LAKE TAHOE GOLF COURSE
SOUTH LAKE TAHOE — Pamela Francis hit a hole-in-one during a round at Lake Tahoe Golf Course on Sunday, Oct. 9. Francis aced the 130-yard sixth hole with a 6 iron.
Trending In: Sports
- Biking boost: South Lake Tahoe awarded silver designation as Bicycle Friendly Community, trending in positive direction
- On the rebound: South Tahoe girls b-ball looks to bounce back in 2016-17 season
- Mac the Naw: Still plenty of options for late-season fishing, including Lake Tahoe
- Queen of the halfpipe: South Lake Tahoe native Maddie Bowman dominates the competition on skis — and loves her craft
- Sierra-at-Tahoe Resort expands learning terrain, revamps menu, bids water bottles farewell for 2016-17 season
- ‘Ninja road stars’ piercing tires in South Lake Tahoe
- Lake Tahoe supporters of Standing Rock host benefit concert; Washoe elders to speak
- Police seeking assistance with hit and run outside Harveys Lake Tahoe
- Stay ‘bear aware’ during winter in the Lake Tahoe region
- Lake Tahoe food tampering suspect caught shoplifting dog food at Raley’s last summer