STHS golf team eliminated from regional consideration, but some players advance
May 1, 2003
The South Tahoe golf team received some bad and some good news Wednesday afternoon at Ruby View in Elko. The Vikings were eliminated as a team from the league regional tournament, but four players will advance to compete as individuals.
The team needed to beat Fallon in the Northern Nevada 4A league match in order to gain the eighth-and-final regional playoff spot.
The Vikings finished 10th as a team with a score of 438, while Fallon ended up in a three-way tie for fifth place. Galena won the match with a 377. Following the team’s last match April 15 at Eagle Valley in Reno, South Tahoe was one point ahead of Fallon for the last playoff spot.
“We’re obviously a little disappointed,” STHS golf coach Mike Patterson said. “We really came on and played well at the end of the season and we put ourselves in a good position to get that last playoff spot. We have four individuals who qualified, but we ended up in ninth overall with the top eight teams qualifying, so that didn’t do it for us. We played a lot better towards the end of the season than the beginning, and it just wasn’t our day today.”
At Ruby View, Dan D’Angelo shot 84, Hunter Harris 86, Alex Yure 86, Andrew Wysong 88, Nate Alcorn 94 and Langdon Owen 96. D’Angelo, Wysong, Harris and Yure advanced to the regional tournament, which was officially moved from Lake Tahoe Golf Course to Dayton next week.
“We have to be happy with the improvement a lot of the players made,” Patterson said. “For some of the kids this was their first year of being on the varsity team. We only had three guys who played last year and three new guys. This was the worst April ever for the kids trying to practice. It’s unheard of for Lake Tahoe Golf Course to not be open by now. I’m proud of the way the kids played.”
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- SnowSport Safety Foundation releases safety report card; California ski industry dismisses report
- Kirkwood Mountain Resort opening today
- Lake Tahoe Community College Coyotes fall to Santa Rosa in NorCal quarterfinals
- New attractions set stage for 2017-18 winter at Tahoe resorts
- Solano forfeits Saturday match, Lake Tahoe Community College advances in playoffs
- Carousel Estate on Lake Tahoe West Shore on market for $29.5 million (video)
- New mountain community under construction near Lake Tahoe
- J-1 visa program helps Lake Tahoe South Shore businesses
- Changes to South Lake Tahoe vacation home rental rules finalized
- Lake Tahoe weather: Rain possible today, cloudy conditions to linger through week