STHS posts season-opening victory over Galena
August 31, 2005
The South Tahoe High Vikings overcame a sluggish performance to post a 2-0 nonleague victory over Galena in the season opener for both teams on Wednesday in Reno.
In the 32nd minute, Ernesto Mosqueda fed a ball on a set play to Ian Chandler, who slid a shot past the keeper for a 1-0 Viking lead. Then 17 minutes into the second half, Jamie Estrada played a through ball for Erick Sandoval, who ran onto it and scored the game’s final goal.
“It was a win and we’re going to move on from here,” said coach Chris DeLeon. “We didn’t really play our game today. I don’t know if it was the bus ride, playing on the road or what. But we kind of struggled out there.”
Alfredo Solorio got the shutout in goal for South Tahoe (1-0), which hosts Fallon on Wednesday at South Tahoe Middle School.
In the JV game, Omar Navarro scored two goals and three other Vikings scored in a 5-0 win over Galena in Reno. Chino Garcia, Chase Hart and Bryan Walker each added goals in the shutout victory.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- SnowSport Safety Foundation releases safety report card; California ski industry dismisses report
- Solano forfeits Saturday match, Lake Tahoe Community College advances in playoffs
- New attractions set stage for 2017-18 winter at Tahoe resorts
- Kirkwood Mountain Resort opening today
- South Tahoe’s Sullivan signs with St. Mary’s College
- Carousel Estate on Lake Tahoe West Shore on market for $29.5 million (video)
- New mountain community under construction near Lake Tahoe
- J-1 visa program helps Lake Tahoe South Shore businesses
- Lake Tahoe weather: Rain possible today, cloudy conditions to linger through week
- Changes to South Lake Tahoe vacation home rental rules finalized