STMS grapplers bring home 10 medals
March 18, 2014
Success and South Tahoe Middle School wrestling are becoming synonymous.
Fourteen Timberwolf wrestlers took the trip to Saturday's tournament at Eagle Valley Middle School and 10 returned with medals draped around their necks. This included a break-out performance by sixth-grader Bodin Schwartz who went 3-0 en route to a gold medal.
Shwartz wasn't the only one to stand atop the podium as seventh-graders Jose Leon, Matt Cain, and heavyweight Jackson Binns dominated their respective weight class by each going 3-0. Max Wirth and Levi Greco lost tightly contested finals matches earning silver medals. Drake Lathrop and George Rohrbacher ended their day with a win in the consolation finals taking third.
Scott Mansfield and Nathan Singelton each joined the podium party for receiving their first career medals with fourth-place finishes.
Coach Romero, and the South Tahoe High School wrestlers serving as his assistants, were very pleased.
"We had some surprises, kids who had only been out a little over two weeks who did great, and we have some studs that are looking awesome heading into qualifiers. It was a lot of fun," Romero said.
The team is preparing for next week's Tah-Neva Championship Qualifier at Carson Middle School. The top four finishers move on to the Tah-Neva Championships in Fallon March 29.
Trending In: Sports
- Will big winter impact water temperature for swimmers in Lake Tahoe?
- Locals’ guide to Memorial Day in Tahoe: A light-hearted take on escaping the hustle and bustle
- Nesting bald eagles cause temporary campground closure in Eldorado National Forest
- Boaters leaving Lake Tahoe must remove drain plug
- Motorist hurt after going over side of Kingsbury Grade